Proper patching to record to USB Stick

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Proper patching to record to USB Stick

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

I’m at wits end trying to record a single stereo channel to my SQ formatted USB stick. None of the patches I have made work. Occasionally there might be an extremely weak signal that gets recorded but has to be boosted severely in order to hear even on headphones. I am using two condenser mics (48V is on) hanging in front of the stage connected to Local inputs 7 & 8. I have turned off inputs 7 & 8 to the mains, sub, monitors, etc. None of the various patching schemes I have tried in the USB tab are working. Can anyone suggest proper patching for recording and playback to accomplish this? I would rather a Wet signal but will accept a Dry signal if that is all I can get. I have read the manual and watched the tutorials – several times! What am I missing??? HELP!

Profile photo of Brent H.
    Brent H.
    Participant

How are you patching it? Direct out? Tie line? I assume your gain structure (preamp) has the level to a good/healthy level?

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

I have tried both Tie Lines and Direct Outputs and tried so many different configurations of patching that I cannot remember exactly what I have done! Not a very good scientific way of going about it. Gain structure is pretty high. If I were to add the channels to the Mains it would blow them out. I do get confused by the Inputs and Outputs screens on the USB tab.

One scenario: On the Outputs/IP Direct Outputs tabs I click on 7 & 8 to USB channel 1 & 2. On the Inputs/Input Channels tab I connect 7 & 8 to input sockets 1 & 2. I know this is one of the patches I tried.

There is something I am not understanding about this SQ patching and it really has me stymied!

PS: I have tried recording to USB stick, From USB B to Computer, from Local Outputs A and B to computer. Nothing…

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

This will record whatever goes through your Channels 7/8 to SQ Drive Stereo.

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Have you checked in the Routing tab the configuration of your Direct Outs?

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I am away from the desk today but will try this patching and check configuration tomorrow.

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

Got on the desk this afternoon and with your comments was able to get the recording working. Many thanks to you both!

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@ron

Glad to hear the patching is now sorted 🙂
    Regarding the levels, this article should be useful – https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403616287889-General-Qu-SQ-Levels-and-Metering-in-Qu-and-SQ

In short, 0dB on the meters = +4dBu on line outputs = -18dBFS internally and on digital outputs

Cheers,
    Keith.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.