PEQ with RTA

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ General Discussions PEQ with RTA

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Area51drones Area51drones 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CQ-18T
    CQ-18T
    Participant

I’m new to the CQ-18 and an amateur to digital mixing.

I am having a challenging time understanding how the PEQ with RTA (Real Time Analyzer) works and was unable to find any videos on A&H or YouTube that would provide a detailed demonstration.

I would be grateful for any assistance, please!

When I set the Main LR Outputs to PEQ, set RTA to ON and enable “In”.

Questions:
    • What does the RTA actually do? Does it automatically adjust the Main LR PEQ or does it just provide adjustment recommendations but the user needs to make adjustments?
    • What do the 3 types of curves (Shelf, Bell or HPF/LPF) mean for the LF and HF? Do I need to select and adjust the curve type with RTA enabled or is that taken care of by the RTA feature?
    • How does FBA work in conjunction with RTA? Is this the same RTA as PEQ or a unique RTA for FBA?
    • Does the selected Quick Start option (Rock, Pop, Country, etc) have specific presents for the Main RL output PEQ and etc or does it only set the channel types and Quick Channels?

Best practice:
    • When setting up the mixer, do you first EQ the individual channels and then tweak the Main LR outputs or visa versa?
    • Should “compressor” and “limiter” be set on individual channels or on the Main RL outputs or both?
    • Is there a recommended HPF frequency setting for Keys (i.e. Korg Pa5x) and vocals?
    • I am using the CQ-18T with the Yamaha DZR12 speakers:
    o Do I set the level on the back of the speakers to “0” or all the way up “+10”?
    o Do I first set the “channel” level all the way up and then adjust the volume using the Main LR or do I set the Main LR all the way up and then adjust the individual channel volume levels?

Tutorials:
    • Where can I learn more (preferably via online video) on how the PEQ actually works?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Profile photo of gabo
    gabo
    Participant

The RTA is exactly what it’s name suggests, a “Real Time Analyzer.” It just shows you what’s happening, it doesn’t do any filtering or implement any feedback suppression or anything. It just analyzes the signal. Having it on or off doesn’t do anything to the signal. Turning it off saves processing power, so maybe it lowers the heat on the unit a bit. It’s basically there if you want to use it to look at the signal or if you don’t you can turn it off.

The PEQ is a “Parametric EQ.” Think of it like a fancy “tone control.” You can “turn up/down the bass” “treble” “midrange” or whatever frequency you like by using it. When you use it to “turn up the bass” you will notice in the RTA that it will now be showing you a higher level in the bass frequencies.

The FBA, FeedBack Assistant. Think of it as an AI that implements a specific PEQ based on what it hears. So when you hear feedback, if that feedback is at 2.2Khz, then the FBA will implement a PEQ filter at 2.2Khz reducing that frequency to prevent the feedback. You’ll see the PEQ filter notch in the PEQ display.

Keep reading online about how to mix and you’ll get some info on the rest of your questions.

Profile photo of Area51drones
    Area51drones
    Participant

Gabo…great explanation and answers.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.