Old Organ that has MIDI (5 pin out) how to connect to SQ7?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Old Organ that has MIDI (5 pin out) how to connect to SQ7?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mfusa mfusa 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jibun no Kage
    Jibun no Kage
    Participant

Old Organ that has MIDI (5 pin out) how to connect to SQ7? Thinking I just need a MIDI five pin to XLR 3, and use an AUX on the SQ7? All I want is audio, not MIDI control. As I understand it MIDI uses pins 3.4.5 to XLR, 1 and 3, and I can just pad them if the connection is unbalanced versus balanced. The organ is really old, actually surprised it even has MIDI. It has no other outs. And just placing a mic near it works… not great at all.

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

I’m confused. To my knowledge midi does not pass audio, only control signals. Is it possible that you only have a midi control surface and not an organ? Seems like this device is destined to plug into something other than a sound board.

I see you say that it produces sound locally (you can put a mic near it). If it doesn’t have any type of audio output then it looks like it was not designed to be interfaced with a sound board. Seems like you would need to continue using the mic or hard wire some sort of jack into whatever speaker is producing the sound you are hearing.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

What looks like a MIDI connector to you is a so called DIN connector that was originally used mostly for home electronics and HiFi equipment before it was used as MIDI connector. It still can be found on old turntables, hifi amplifiers and alike.

pin 1: record left
    pin 2: ground
    pin 3: playback left
    pin 4: record right
    pin 5: Playback right

just be careful, as the numbering is not subsequent!
    What you would need is a adapter from 5 pole to RCA + RCA-Jack adapters + 2x DI Box to connect it to your SQ

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

RS: Cool. I learned something new. Thank you

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.