Monitoring Features

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Monitoring Features

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of joalp joalp 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of David Malament
    David Malament
    Participant

We use 6 of the aux mixes for monitor mixes for our musicians. They use the SQ4You app to mix their monitors. For the most part everything works swimmingly. There are a few annoyances that I think could be fixed with a software update.

1. Since we’re a church we have rotating musicians, and everyone likes their mix a little bit different. Right now saving and recalling performer monitor mixes is not straightforward, so we don’t do it. With the current scene/safe workflow I would have to save a scene for each performer, then on startup: 1. load performer 1 scene. 2. mark performer 1 mix as safe. 3. load performer 2 scene. 4. mark performer 2 mix as safe and so on and so on. This is a highly manual and error-prone process. It would be great if you guys could make this workflow better. Maybe a mix library?

2. In the SQ4You app it would be very helpful to have mute and solo buttons for each channel, as well as each of the 4 groups. Think of an electric guitar performer who’s trying to get his tone nailed down. It would be helpful for him to be able to solo himself in his ears so he can work on that.

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

+1

Great idea!

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

On what screen would you press the library button?

DC

Profile photo of Stretch480
    Stretch480
    Participant

Could make the Library button accessible from the Routing page.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

point 2: this would not be possible with this desk
    it will need more PAFL busses than available, otherwise you have to share the one available

Stretch480
    Participant

Maybe the PAFL could be considered a SOLO in place for the Musician listening to their own sources? This would let the Musician Listen to their Guitar specifically until they release the SOLO and get their Mix back. Only way I can think is maybe the Source being SOLO’d would mute all other sources send to that mix leaving just the desired source Un muted. Turning off the SOLO would restore the all Mutes? No extra busses needed.

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

Could make the Library button accessible from the Routing page.

But how would you explain to the user that the library applies to sends to the current mix the (the view that the faders represent), and not sends from the currently selected channel (the view that the routing screen would have)? All the other libraries correspond to what’s on screen.

DC

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Maybe, for point 1, the SQ4You app could save the setup in a small library of it’s own? Recall this, & sent all new levels to the desk Anything not under the app’s normal control would be unaffected.

Doesn’t get around the fact that a different musician may be louder/quieter or have a very different sound, but would go some way to helping solve this problem.

Stretch480
    Participant

This totally just my own thinking, but if I were to select Aux 1, Routing tab, Library button, I would have saved routing from previous Aux’s that I had saved. This would be helpful for venues with rotating musicians as well as duplicating mixes across different Aux busses. It would be nice for Copy/Paste/Reset to be applied to in some way for this to work on the fly. Maybe Sell Aux or Mtrx and Copy+Routing button would grab and apply the same data being saved in the library?

If I were to Select Ch1, Routing tab, Library I wouldn’t expect it to function.

Profile photo of jordanshaft
    jordanshaft
    Participant

Would it be possible to have the sq4you app have a section where it’s just the channels and no groups? With rotating musicians and different phones being connected, it is extremely problematic to have them have to re set up their groups every week. It would be awesome if it could be set up to a similar fashion to the yamaha monitor mix app where you have access to all channels immediately and then you can create Groups.

Profile photo of lomtas
    lomtas
    Participant

We have the same problem in our church and I thought very much about a good solution for it, but didn’t find a good one. The thing with the library: what happens when you change the order of faders or have new units or or or…

I totally understand the problem and have the same, but no solution.

Profile photo of joalp
    joalp
    Participant

+1 for any feature update, that allows to store/load all the send levels of a single mix. Use case is personal monitoring with rotating musicians.
    – appropriate scene filters
    – or a new library category
    – or some sort of library in SQ4You

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

@joalp
    SQ4You is a remote app for monitoring, so recalling SQ4You snapshots would kill the save/load idea with scenes and shows (and the above feature request itself).
    It would make the whole system unreliable.
    The mix settings get recalled with the scene.

But I agree that the recall filters need more granularity.
    And some other improvements with recall filters would be nice as well.

Profile photo of joalp
    joalp
    Participant

@SteffenR
    I see your point about scene recall potentially interfering with personal mix changes done by the musicians. This is true regardless of whether the change has been done manually in SQ4You, or by using SQ4You snapshots.

Being able to filter mix send levels upon a scene recall (e.g. on a per-mix basis) would indeed be a very welcome addition to the scene management.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.