Make any two channels stereo

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Make any two channels stereo

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scotchy Scotchy 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JPage
    JPage
    Participant

It would be very nice to be able to link any two channels on the board to create one stereo channel instead of only odd/even channels. Ganging is a nice workaround but gets messy when you want to use a Dyn8 or other insert. Most people working with an inherited install that doesn’t allow repatching 128 channels would appreciate this.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

+1

I came from an M7CL and was pretty surprised I couldn’t do that. I’ve got some ambient mics on opposite sides of the stage, so they’re plugged into different stage pockets… they don’t even come up next to each other, let alone on an odd/even pair.

Profile photo of ParkerA1996
    ParkerA1996
    Participant

Checking in here as we are moving to a dLive system on Monday, is the the M/X32 limitation where you can only link channel 1-2 rather than 2-3? If so, that’s a seemingly unnecessary stain on an otherwise fantastic console.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Correct. The X32/M32 are like that, too? I thought it was just the A&H boards. I guess maybe it’s everyone but Yamaha, then? I have no idea why the engineers seem to think that stereo channels will always be plugged into adjacent inputs, let alone into odd/even inputs.

Profile photo of Scotchy
    Scotchy
    Participant

so, what’s the latest? It’s a combination of two issues. Only congruent (pre defined) channels can be made a stereo pair and yet it seems you can’t “insert” a channel somewhere and let all of the other ones shuffle one down to place them where you want. So what do we do? Just start over on our input list ?

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

And even starting over on the input list is not a process I want to do on a daily basis right now.
    To copy a channel over to another input can take up to 9 steps per channel, depending on how many inserts are used. Just too prone to faults. But I did had to run thru this process about once a year for a band I work regularly for, as I want to present a as “clean” input list as possible to everyone involved in the gig (stagecrew, broadcast, recording,…). It’s a real PITA that takes hours and I can never be sure if I might have missed something, even tho I am using checklists.

But maybe someone of A&H can chime in to clarify what the possibilities of the system might be and where the limitations are? Nicola?
    Cause wishing for something that might not even be possible is not something I want to do…

Profile photo of Dusty T
    Dusty T
    Participant

To me that’s where fully user definable banks really come into their own. something new comes up, I can stick it at the end of my input list, and put the fader wherever I want. I’m not aware of any consoles that actually let you insert a new channel midway into your input list. I do certainly appreciate the organisational aspect of it though… it would be nice to do, however we have the tools to work around it pretty easily compared to many other desks.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Clean input lists are not only meant to keep work on the FoH desk easier (think about subs that might be in for just a show) but, as I said above, to everyone else involved, too. They might have to patch subsnakes or use totally different boards then you use. And if you are the one defining the list, you are the one that has to communicate the “unnormal”.

Profile photo of Scotchy
    Scotchy
    Participant

Like when you inherit a gig and the monitor patch is “set in stone”. They want to patch your cage 1 to 1 from their SD-rack and some kind of crosspatch (for example: a second snare mic was added. OK… I can tack that on the end of input list I inherited but now I have to ask the monitor guy to patch the second snare into input 44 on my cage when it’s number 5 on his.) isn’t very welcomed. It’s basically a session re-do. Luckily Director is Mac based and friendly. But even then you have to contend with the pre-defined stereo pairs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.