Lock the MasterLR fader?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Lock the MasterLR fader?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wolfieissarah Wolfieissarah 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wolfieissarah
    Wolfieissarah
    Participant

Hi, is there a way to lock the main fader. We have multiple users many of which are not great at listening or following instructions. We give them access to the iPad app with the standard user and would like them not to be able to adjust the MasterLR volume. Is this something that is possible? Preferably I’d like them to still be able to mute or unmute that fader.
    We use the Qu-24 mixer

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Wolfieissrath

Do not know of any way to do that.

But nobody should ever touch the master fader ever.
    That should be set with the power amp to deliver the proper maximum level to the audience.
    Raising it would be dangerous.
    Lowering it would be counterproductive.

You could set a soft button to mute the master.

Wolfieissarah
    Participant

Yup, exactly why we’d like to restrict access to adjusting the master fader.

volounteer
    Participant

@wolfieissarah

Ban any user that does it. ZERO tolerance.
    TOTALLY BAN them. Not just from FOH area but from venue.

The rest will get the message.

Or maybe You could superglue the fader so it can’t move 🙂

Wolfieissarah
    Participant

It is a rental facility where there are many different groups using our system. Though I do limit the use of the iPad to a small number of what I hope are trustworthy people.

Most groups only receive an iPhone loaded with the needed sliders but only a mute button for the master volume.

No one is allowed access to the actual board.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Sometimes adjusting the main LR fader level or for that matter output mix
    main fader levels is needed……another topic for another time.

To your question…..
    If the main goal is to keep the everyday users from adjusting the overall main output
    levels you’ll need to do some creative output routing on the mixer.

A few ways I can think of right now:
    – Use a group output as the master, you would assign every channel on the mixer and FX returns (if you use FX) to a one of the two sub groups, do not assign that sub group to the main LR mix, use that sub groups outputs to run the mains. The sub groups have the same full output processing as the main LR has.
    The sub groups can be blocked in the standard and basic user settings.

– Another way would be to use a mix as the main output, set the mix to post fade, post EQ, on every channel raise that mix level up the unity position, mixes have the same output processing as the main LR and mixes can be blocked in the user settings.

– To really lock them down look at letting them only use the Qu Control APP. In that app you set up control blocks just for the specific channels and or functions you want them to have access to.

Look at the “permission” page when setting up a user level, the function button brings up the page.
    Also think about setting up the custom layer only feature, you can build up a custom layer that only contains the channels they are allowed to use.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

without all that rerouting does not the control layer still allow the main LR fader to be used?
    The problem is not controlling input channels or even the other layer channels,
    it is the main LR that sarah wants to keep their hands off of.

If they have the channels then your solution would work. I still like a permanent ban from the venue.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

without all that rerouting does not the control layer still allow the main LR fader to be used?
    The problem is not controlling input channels or even the other layer channels,
    it is the main LR that sarah wants to keep their hands off of.

If they have the channels then your solution would work. I still like a permanent ban from the venue.

Yes the main LR fader would still be available but would not do anything since the re-routing would have it’s outputs going no where.
    Think about it……….

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

what output goes to the power amp?
    How would the LR fader not affect that no matter what routing you did before it.

Did you intend for the subgroup out to feed the main power amp and the LR to go nowhere?
    That could work for sure.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I guess I just implied that you would use a different set of physical outputs. Yes you would using either the group output or the mix output as the feed to the system depending on the method used.
    If your using the digital AES output that output can be routed to any of the mixers output paths.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I don’t have desk or app with me right now, but I think the Alt Out can be set as a pre-fade copy of the main mix.

Means a couple of TRS – XLR(m) adaptors are needed, but leaves the desk setup as normal.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I don’t have desk or app with me right now, but I think the Alt Out can be set as a pre-fade copy of the main mix.

Means a couple of TRS – XLR(m) adaptors are needed, but leaves the desk setup as normal.

The ALT out does have Pre LR option but that would still leave the physical knob accessible on the mixer to change the overall output level.
    I think their goal is to block that from happening in any way.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I thought users only had access via the app, and the desk is locked away….

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Yep…..her third post in “No one is allowed access to the actual board. ”
    Well Mark wins the award for the simple solution! Follow mine to do it the hard way!

Wolfieissarah
    Participant

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.