Increase control devices from 2

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ feature suggestions Increase control devices from 2

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lee7 Lee7 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BobbyDazzler59
    BobbyDazzler59
    Participant

Hi.
    After near three weeks of home beta testing my new CQ20B ready for live band work and as the keyboard player etc (No Soundman operation)

So my configuration is hardwired network to external wifi/router with coupled laptop running CQ mixpad and showing different window to….iPad pro running CQ Mixpad or Mixing Station with alternate display to laptop and quick access to grouping/DVA on the ipad for on the fly mixing. I would like at least a third device with CQ Mixpad that could be used by one of the bands entourage for minor lecvel adjustments during the gig or simply as a third display screen.

My needs are specific as Im busy playing once in a live set and after full setup and sound check of course, so its the quick access to various screens and lack of customising of Mixpad as a user defined layout for quick single screen access, hence using Mixing Station on second device but keeping a hardwired connection as well in case of wifi issues etc. I woild just like the option of additional device screen or additional remote device as described.
    Regards,
    Rob.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

QU is, and I think SQ are limited to two instances of Mixpad or MS at any one time, so I highly doubt that the CQ range will be updated to allow for more. It can be a pain.

BobbyDazzler59
    Participant

Thanks Lee, I have no operating knowlege of the other A&H digital ranges, an assumed from their price point they would have had more connections. Im sure I read up in the soundcraft, that had more simulteaneous connections but Im not convinced on its quality of sound and components. The CQ I realise is budget end of A&H but still of quality sound if the reports from some of the forum regulars are anything to go by AND my last 5 band years with a massive 24 CH A&H. As Im partly finding my digital feet and a new band in process of forming, Im looking at various live setoperational workflow seeing as I play keys too, so many options or operating expansions are welcome, but I do have a current contingency thats now up and working.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Hi Bob,

Although the CQ is aimed at a different demographic, that isn’t to say that a professional cannot use it and gain excellent results, they can. You just have less configuration and options to choose from when in comparison to the QU and SQ range. I use my QU-SB for bigger shows were a bigger channel count is required along with other requirements, but for all of my band shows the CQ is the goto mixer. Small footprint, setup in a matter of minutes and produces excellent audio reproduction. If you find the Mixapp a bit unfriendly to navigate around, try out the Mixing Station app, well worth the fee to buy it. Apart from not yet having transport controls for the USB, it has far more customisability than the offical app.

BobbyDazzler59
    Participant

CQ mixpad is not that bad to use for setup and initial levels. Its the lack of user layout and or grouping for live set tweaking.

I will run it on my touch screen laptop which is so much easier than a touch pad or mouse, its hard wired network thru my router to the CQ with a private network for the iPad remote operating

I have indeed tested out the timed trial version on Mixing Station and manage to create several IDCA faders and group controls and finally paid for the CQ version a couple days ago. So that now fills some operating holes. I can now adjust the drum group, backline group and the vocal group overall levels now which also gives a group mute, which is missing as a function on the CQ and I presume then does not allow creating same group mute function in MS, so its handy the IDCA can do it. This makes life on stage simpler now as I can also create custom console screen which just has the drum and backline group controls, 4 vocals with the group control intervl music st channel and master fader all in one screen. Super easy for quick glance and adjust if needed and not wading thru pages.

Wait with bated breath for the first CQ and or app firmware updates, maybe then there will be midi protocols added and we can use usb midi controller faders

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Another handy feature included in the Mixing Station app is the ability to ‘Re-Gain’, something you cannot do with the official app.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.