Help an amateur mix a bass guitar for live streaming

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Help an amateur mix a bass guitar for live streaming

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ehud42
    ehud42
    Participant

Got a small band that livestreams. Bass guitar is straight in – player has no effects on the guitar, just a DI box splitting between his small amp on stage and QU-24.
    I think it sounds pretty good / ok on the headphones, my studio monitors, etc.
    However, the bass is AWOL on tablets/laptops.
    I get it – a 1″ speaker can’t do bass.
    But it can do the harmonics.
    Some research tells me I should add harmonics and EQ the mids higher on the return to help bring the bass line out on small speakers.
    But how to do that with the limited FX library on the QU-24? There’s no overdrive/fuzz effects. Just chorus, flange and reverb – or am I missing / misunderstanding something (probably!)

I’d love some suggestions.

Thanks!

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Proper EQ and compression should help the bass guitar be audible on small speakers. Do a multi-track recording of one of your sessions, so that you can play around with the settings. Also have a small set of computer speakers handy for test monitoring (preferably a set without a sub-woofer), as they can be helpful for knowing what your mix sound like on smaller speakers.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

You absolutely can use a chorus, flanger, or phaser on a bass. Try it!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.