Feature request: Feedback destroyer

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Feature request: Feedback destroyer

This topic contains 24 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of funkcity funkcity 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I use the delay feature on my Qu outputs & delay my monitors approximately 10-15ms and eliminate feedback problems all the time. Depending on the environment & stage & stage environment, you can accomplish the same thing without feedback programs or units. I make sure there’s no actual delay of any kind to be heard or felt & it works great for me. I’ve also have delayed the outputs as much as 18ms without any problems or delays of the signal only in the right environment. We are all mixing to & balancing our mixes to our acoustic environments.

I have worked with some musicians that could tell something was not right if I started putting up to 15ms of delay on their monitor mix….and they would be letting me know about it.

I have delayed the mains back to the back line a few times and it did help tighten things up a bit.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

delayed monitors is an absolutly “NO GO”

Profile photo of LeGingy
    LeGingy
    Participant

I’ve found 2/3/4ms delay max to be helpful as (for singer) the performer can actually hear whats coming out of the monitors separate to their “head voice”, I end up turning them down with a small delay, it mimics the ms delay you get with analog, but no where near 15 ms…..

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

ve found 2/3/4ms delay max to be helpful as (for singer) the performer can actually hear whats coming out of the monitors separate to their “head voice”, I end up turning them down with a small delay, it mimics the ms delay you get with analog, but no where near 15 ms…

An all analog mixer path has no latency, well technically it would have some but not even close a full ms, it would be down in the sub nanosecond range.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I don’t believe it…
    the delay of analog…
    and we discuss latency issues

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I wonder if the latency through an analog mixer or any analog processor
    is really even measurable.

For what it’s worth I think the QU spec is 1.2ms from XLR in to XLR out.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

I wonder if the latency through an analog mixer or any analog processor
    is really even measurable.

Electrical signals travel through analog circuits at the speed of light, so it’s basically irrelevant.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Not quite the speed of light, though it can be quite close. Depends what it’s traveling through.

Profile photo of Mark
    Mark
    Participant

Hi Everyone – completely new to forums so please excuse if I don’t follow protocols properly. I have used mixers for many years although my main involvement with sound has been the design and installation of systems. Have just bought a QU16 and feel that the inclusion of some form of automatic feedback suppression would be a definite advantage. While system knowledge and proper training goes a long way towards eliminating most problems, we must remember that in the real world, room acoustics, budget constraints, operator experience, and the time and position constraints involved when using portable systems can all play an overriding part in the end result. Although the QU16 does have variable Q parametrics which are great for notching out the one or two dominant feedback frequencies which sometimes occur, most users of a QU16 size mixer aren’t trained to the degree that they can immediately recognise what those frequencies are. The RTA puts you in the right area but how much easier if the desk just did it for you – or at the very least, gave a readout of what the loudest frequency was. The last three mixers I have installed have been QSC touch-mix’s. While automatic feedback removal was not a primary consideration in their selection, given the skill level of the users, it was a factor.

Profile photo of funkcity
    funkcity
    Participant

I have used feedback controllers on 2 mixers.
    1 A QSC TouchMix: Completely automatic…(It moves the faders to feedback) You set this up and it finds and kills the offending frequencies. But you can reduce the depth of the notches based on your desired SPL and fidelity desired. When an announcer walked right in front of a speaker it did not feed back! I laughed!
    2. A Soundcraft Ui24R (2 DBX feedback killers 1 static and one real-time dynamic “Live”)I set up for a long room to work lengthwise and of course they decided to run the meeting from the side!
    I put the Ui in “Live” mode and there was zero feedback or resonances/ringing! and they were very very close to the speakers!
    ** So given a certain set of circumstances, the Feedback killer is a great tool to have! And the notches are much narrower than your basic parametric or 3rd octave graphic eq.
    I really thought A&H would have had it by now?
    To note: I also use the Auto-Mix (Dugan-style Gain-sharing) feature for every conference or panel interview. It’s also a must-have too

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.