dLive network DHCP issues, firmware V1.98

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive troubleshooting dLive network DHCP issues, firmware V1.98

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of AlexMahn AlexMahn 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AlexMahn
    AlexMahn
    Participant

hey guys,

i´m puzzled about some dLive Network Issues.

I have a S3000 + DM 48 Stagebox and a C1500. I use the S3 + DM48 in our Venue all the time. Standard network configuration + 1.98 Firmware on all the devices.
    Couple of days ago i installed 1.98 on the C1500 and it worked like a charm with the DM48. Then i used the S3000 again, worked…

Then i tried to connect the C1500 again and it did not find the DM48. Same CAT, same place. The DM48 took a while to boot up and i thought…mmh looks like DHCP. Didn´t turn that on. But somehow, DHCP was turned on the DM48. All lot of people work on this system, so…

DHCP was turned ON the S3000 as well, but not on the C1500. So i turned DHCP OFF on all the devices. Trouble is…

The S3000 will start with the DM48, but the C1500 will not, when i switch them back and forth to the stagebox. Same IP Config, no DHCP, same firmware, same CAT.

I tried to reset the C1500 + i installed the firmware again. Thing is, when i turn DHCP ON the C1500 Surface, then after a time the DM48 will connect. DHCP is OFF on the DM48.

I´m not quite the IT guy, but i´m confused. Maybe some insightful user can help me out. I´m always sure the problem is me… in front of the screen, but not i´m running out of ideas. Maybe this behaviour is normal, but then i don´t understand it. Why is the S3000 working and the C1500 is not, with the same configuration and the C1500 will connect just when i turn DHCP ON on the Surface.

Just to be clear, i switch between the 2 Surfaces and not connect them both at the same time the DM48.

Thanks so much for you help.

Cheers Alex

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

If you don’t use DHCP, then you need to manually assign IP addresses to each individual device. This is what A&H recommends for the DLive system. However, if you have not assigned a manual IP address for a device (ie the C1500 in your case), or if it is assigned to a different subnet than the other devices (192.168.0.1/24 vs 192.168.1.1/24 for example) or if it is assigned the same IP address as another device (C2500 and C1500 are both assigned to 192.168.1.10 for example), then you are going to run into problems.

I think the best solution is to ensure all three devices have their DHCP turned off. Then manually assign the IP address to each of the three devices – perhaps 192.168.30.10, 192.168.30.11, and 192.168.30.12 (with a 255.255.255.0 mask). I would choose something like those IP addresses because it stays away from many of the default networks segments (192.168.1.1/24, or 192.168.0.1/24 or 10.10.10.10/24, etc) which will help limit the chances for issues in the future should other devices be connected to the network.

AlexMahn
    Participant

hi brian, thank you for your help.

all three devices have DHCP turned OFF now, as it was before und should be. You´re right. The Devices have all the fixed standard ip. I just want to use from time to time the smaller C1500. But the C1500 won´t connect. I just don´t understand why the S3000 is connecting und the C1500 is not. Because they use both just the standard fixed IP address. And this standard fixed IP adress worked for years. It should not matter if i use the S3000 with 192.168.1.71 / 255.255.255.0 and then pack that thing away and use the smaller C1500 with the same IP adress, or am i missing something? Why would they need a different IP fixed IP adress? I just use one or another. And we share and exchange surfaces a lot, for touring and weight/packing options. And we all use just this standard fixed IP, so it´s easier for us.

The weird thing ist, The C1500 will connect with some other DM48 just fine. Same fixed IP adress, same everything. I tested it couple hours ago.

An than again, when i boot up with DHCP ON just on the C1500 and connect to our normal in-house DM48 (which has DHCP OFF) they will connect…

Sorry, but i find this highly confusing. Thanks so much for you held. cheers alex.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

There shouldn’t be a problem with the two surfaces having the same IP address as long as they will NEVER be powered on at the same time on the same network. That being said, there is no logical reason to assign them the same address. Just stick a big label with the device’s IP address on the unit and everyone will know what the IP address is. There isn’t any need to get cute and try to assign all your mixracks one IP address and all your surfaces another IP address IMHO. Assign them all unique IP addresses in the same network subnet and they should always work together regardless of what devices you grab to use or how big your system ends up being (ie multiple mixracks or surfaces).

AlexMahn
    Participant

thanks brian,

your´re right. thats the best way to handle all the devices. basically i was just curious but also worried. your advice is absolutly correct, but from my point of it does not explain the problem. the surfcaces were never on the same time.

thank you anyway.

cheers alex

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.