Director + IP8 over WIFI

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Director + IP8 over WIFI

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of antonyja antonyja 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of felix
    felix
    Participant

hey everyone!
    i’m sure i’m not the first to try this and don’t see why i can’t make it work, maybe someone can halp me with this?

i try to setup a surfaceless system with director running on a mac and wifi connection to the mixrack.
    the IP8 is connected to the eternetport of the mac.

both connections work, but not at the same time.
    i guess the problem is in the network settings?
    i tried fix IP adresses for all clients on wifi and ethernet in the 192.168.1.XXX range, both with the same subnet mask, but as soon as i connect the ethernet cable i loose the mixrack.
    any ideas?

thanks in advance!
    felix

Profile photo of MJCElectronics
    MJCElectronics
    Participant

It’s the nature of computer network connections. A computer will not pass network traffic from one interface to another unless you install some kind of router software and even if you did that I don’t think it would work as the 2 interfaces would have to be on different subnets.
    Best bet is a switch to connect the 2 devices to a wireless access point configured as a wireless bridge.

Profile photo of felix
    felix
    Participant

thanks for the statement mjc, i got it.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

i try to setup a surfaceless system with director running on a mac and wifi connection to the mixrack.
    the IP8 is connected to the eternetport of the mac.

These are 2 different networks as far as your computer is concerned, so they can’t have addresses in the same subnet.

You would need a WiFi adapter or bridge with an Ethernet port on it which becomes a wireless “client” on the main network, along with a switch. The WiFi adapter would become a client on your wireless network, and then you would connect the IP 8 and the Mac (via wired) to a switch and that switch to the WiFi adapter. The bandwidth might become an issue, but this is the only way that I can think of to accomplish what you are looking for.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

It’s possible to do. I have done it. (But it is not supported by A&H.) What you need is a wireless access point to provide a bridge to your wireless network. Connect the WAP to your network. Then connect the IP-8 to the WAP and you’re good to go.

Art

Profile photo of antonyja
    antonyja
    Participant

Art,

There is nothing wrong with the set-up you describe, so AFAIK it is supported.

Antony Jackson
    Software Manager
    Allen and Heath Limited

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.