Delayed in-fill speakers from QU 16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Delayed in-fill speakers from QU 16

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 37 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of andyoz andyoz 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of andyoz
    andyoz
    Participant

Thanks for that link. It’s made me rethink a few things. Running the sub aux Send at unity gain is a great tip.

I think the HPF on the QU are 18dB/Oct so closer to the 24dB typically used in proper loudspeaker processors.

I’m really trying to avoid using a processor to keep the rig as simple as possible…pub rock!

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Andyoz,,,

“The Mix feed to the sub can be setup to ignore any HPF settings on the original input channels.”

This above statement is incorrect. The HPF is part of the input preamp and therefore any setting would effect that input regardless of where it is routed.

Also, I want to make sure that my posts above did NOT recommend the use of lowering low fequency graphic EQ faders as being the correct way to crossover tops and subs, as opposed to using a separate speaker processor/crossover if you don’t have a filter switch on your tops and an adjustable crossover frequency point on your powered subs. The separate processor will surely yeild better results, provided it is set up correctly. Using a graphic EQ instead is just a poor man’s way of accomplishing something similar without a crossover but the slope of the GEQ faders is just not steep enough.

Waihekesoundie…
    since you do not have usefull filters on your tops to eliminate lowe end, and a sub/s that do not have adjustable crossover point, you are choosing wisely by using your DBX processor, and it will provide better results.

I am honored and thrilled to have been part of this discussion and always enjoy helping when I can… I just hope I didn’t step on any toes,,, besides ….

that hurts πŸ™‚

Merry Christmas everyone!

TRUST YOUR EARS

Profile photo of andyoz
    andyoz
    Participant

Hi,

Regards this one:

β€œThe Mix feed to the sub can be setup to ignore any HPF settings on the original input channels.”

I think the confusion had come from what was discussed in this thread. https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/hpf-channel-settings

Band will only be using one mix feed and that’s for the sub (band doesn’t use monitors) so had planned to use the ‘Post Preamp’ setting in the ‘Direct Out Global Settings’ menu.

A bit of a fudge really.

Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Thanks guys,
    Andy Oz– I’m just learning but I think that perhaps if you don’t have outboard crossovers then maybe you are going to get a better result if you stick with stereo into your sub(s) and use the sub’s internal cross-over to route to the tops– ie. forget Aux driven subs and control bass levels with EQ. This is what you do with the Aux fed subs anyway– the only difference is that with the Aux approach you have only those channels with sub content physically routed to the sub.

I only say that based on messing around with a number of different configurations over the weekend over a variety of recorded material. My system sounds pretty good with a standard non-aux sub setup and sounded much less good with an aux fed sub config until I
    a) used the same cross-over slopes for tops and subs (ie 2 crossover units- one on the LR mains and one on the Aux feed (mix 9/10) for sub;
    b) Matched gain at the crossover point using a sinewave test tone
    c) locked the top’s and sub’s output masters together using a DCA on a fader in the custom layer.

Prior to this, the Aux fed approach sounded much more un-even and I was conscious of “bass vs tops” as opposed to an integrated sound presentation.

You haven’t said what you wanted to achieve by using Aux fed subs and maybe you can get what you want without above but that’s my 10cs. My stuff is pub rock as well but I often have DJs on the same night and it is this full range mastered material that shows up issues.

@DJDan
    All good man– thanks totally for your input.

Happy Christmas all.

Profile photo of andyoz
    andyoz
    Participant

It’s got a bit complicated as my tops (RCF TT25a ii) only have a 100Hz HPF whereas the sub I plan to order this week (RCF 8004) has LPF at either 80Hz or 120Hz. I’d prefer if the TT25’s had a 80Hz option. The rooms it will be used aren’t very big so the tops have plenty in reserve. So I was going to use the QU-SB HPF to mimic an 80Hz LPF or thereabouts. The rig will only used in a couple of different pubs and I should (hopefully) be able to the tops and sub to hopefully integrate well after a few trials, test tones and listening.

Feel like I’ve derailed thread a bit. Every days a school day for me anyway..

Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Very nice gear for “pub bands” πŸ™‚ Prob worth the investment in a crossover,,
    You didn’t derail the thread– it was an open discussion.
    All the best.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

we all learn from forums like this… this is one of the “good” things about the internet πŸ™‚

or interwebs πŸ™‚

Dan

Profile photo of andyoz
    andyoz
    Participant

Re. my post above, the QU has a 12dB/octave HPF and not 18dB.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.