DCA channel meters

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD feature suggestions DCA channel meters

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cekren cekren 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Edi
    Edi
    Participant

Hi,

It would be very helpful if the channel meters on DCA channels would show the levels of the assigned channels.
    I know, that no signal is routed through a DCA as it is on a VCA in the analog world. But in the digital world
    this should not be to too difficult to implement, because it’s already possible to hear the PAFL signal for a DCA channel
    (at least it’s possible to activate it in the editor, I have not tried that on the console, but will do next time)

Best regards,
    Edi

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

Not sure it would help much even if it were possible because, like the PFL, it would presumably be the sum of the PRE fade levels of the component channels. So what would it tell you? That there is SOME signal?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

This would be a nice addition. It wouldn’t necessarily need to be the sum of the signals in the group, but could be the hottest signal in the group instead.

Profile photo of Edi
    Edi
    Participant

Why should it have to be the summed pre fade level signal? The hint with the already existing PFL Option was just to show, that it is possible to hear a signal where physically no signal is.

I would prefer the channel meters to behave live the meters on a subgroup channel.
    Just show the sum of the post fader signals of the channels controlled by the DCA.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Early iLive firmware had meters working on the DCA masters – then some people who couldn’t get their head around that complained so A&H got rid of it to avoid confusion. Personally I really liked the feature and would prefer it back! Or a user option for it?

Profile photo of samuel2230
    samuel2230
    Participant

This would be a nice addition. It wouldn’t necessarily need to be the sum of the signals in the group, but could be the hottest signal in the group instead.

If you are going to put a meter it, which doesn’t make much sense as it has no audio path, ‘hottest channel’ makes the most sense. If it sums, it has the potential to ‘clip’ a meter for a bus that doesn’t exist, which is just confusing.

Profile photo of cekren
    cekren
    Participant

+1 for DCA metering – the M32 and X32 boards support this in what I believe is a hottest channel config. If it’s confusing, why not just make it a toggle, disable it by default, and make a pop-up that confirms what the option does before enabling?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘GLD feature suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.