DAW Cntrl not connecting

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting DAW Cntrl not connecting

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bracumba
    Bracumba
    Participant

I use an old iMac running High Sierra. Ethernet and Dante connections, via a switch, between Computer and SQ. Dante working perfectly. SQ MixPad 1.5.1 on iMac connects to the SQ and works perfectly. There is a BomeBox between SQ and switcher/iMac. BomeBox working as expected. No problem obviously for MixPad on the iMac. But…

DAW Control 1.71 does find the SQ but fails to connect to it. Ofcourse I tried every thinkable scenario, like no BomeBox, no Switcher etc… The only scenario that the DAW Cntrl app will connect to the SQ, is when on the SQ , in the I/O Port Options, the Control Network Bridge is set to on. But that passes by my BomeBox, making it useless.
    A fascinating Network problem…

Anyone any ideas ?

Bracumba
    Participant

What I wrote earlyer is not correct. Setting the Control Network Bridge to on, is not a problem solver. Most off the time DAW cntrl app, does not want to connect to the SQ. Under some conditions it did (and worked like a charm), but I cannot replicate this condition. Almost looks like random behaviour.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @Bracumba,

The BomeBox uses the same port and method to connect to the SQ as the DAW Control Driver and there can be only one active TCP/IP connection at any time, it’s not clear whether this has something to do with your problem though, as you mention testing with no BomeBox.
    With your cabling, do you have both the Network and Dante card connected separately to the switch? With the Control Network Bridge ‘On’, you should just have the Dante card connected as all SQ network connections will then be carried through the I/O Port.
    Also, how is everything addressed? It is all on the same subnet?

Thanks,
    Keith.

Bracumba
    Participant

…. there can be only one active TCP/IP connection at any time.This straightened me, my Network and the problem out. Thank you again. With the BomeBox in the setup, but with no Midi translator in it, activated, The iMac with the DAW cntrl app connects to the SQ. With a Midi translator in the BomeBox activated, the BomeBox is connected to the SQ. And the iMac will no longer connect to it. I don’t know what random actions from my part I did trying to solve/understand the problem of the iMac not connecting, but I came to all the wrong conclusions. 😅🤓 I keep on learning (and enjoying)

Bracumba
    Participant

WoW, looking back, I am so happy with what happend. It forced me to better look in to, and better understand with how MIDI is handled. If the BomeBox is connected to the SQ, and runs a Midi translation, the MIDI cntrl app on the iMac can no longer connect to the SQ via TCP/IP. But the BomeBox can still pass through midi information from the SQ to the iMac, and vica versa. To do this I have their Network Tool running on the iMac. In the MIDI cntrl app from A&H don’t choose TCP/IP for connection but MIDI Ports , and in here chose in this case the little Bome server app. And now both the MIDI translator in the BomeBox works perfectly, while the communication SQ/iMac is still working perfectly.
    Writing it down and Reading it back, I don’t understand why this took me so many hours to get happening. Maybe this writing could help shorten this time for somebody else…

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@Bracumba,

Ah! really glad you got it sorted. The BomeBox using the same ports is not something that’s really discussed anywhere clearly as it’s not something we manufacture, so the only thing that would have hinted to it would be mention of only having one TCP/IP connection for MIDI available to use, which is easy to miss everywhere it appears (apologies).

Great thinking on the new setup, and thanks for taking the time to share all the info here for everyone too!

Keith.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.