CQ-20B Alt Out and FX as additional IEM

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ General Discussions CQ-20B Alt Out and FX as additional IEM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ppocmrmojoppocmrmojo
    Participant

Hi!
    I’m close to acquire the CQ-20B and I have a few questions.
    After checking the user guide I still can’t figure out if the 2 Alt Outs can function as 2 additional headphone jacks.
    Or if they are simply TRS mono jacks, can I use a Y cable and connect a headphone to it? Can the Alt Outs drive a headphone or would I need a headphone amp?

The other thing. We have 4 members in my band and I need 4 stereo IEM.
    I know I can use the Main Out as the 4th IEM out since we dont use a PA for rehearsals.
    But can I cheat and use an FX slot as an AUX and send that FX output just to the Headphone out or the Alt Out, saving the mains for a possible PA system?
    I guess what I’m trying to question is is there a way to have 4 stereo IEM and the Mains Out simultaneously?
    Thanks!

Profile photo of Mike CMike C
    Participant

The ALT OUTS are mono balanced outputs not a stereo headphone out. With an external
    headphone amp you could use those.

I don’t have a CQ in front of me to try but possibly you could use an FX slot with the FX mix fully dry and PFL the FX return sending it to the headphone out.

Profile photo of Anonymous
    Inactive

As mentioned before, the Alt Outs are line level not headphone level so you would need a headphone amp. The alt outs are not independent mixes so it would simply be a copy of what is going to Out1,2,3,4,5,6, Main LR, Listen.

While the FX can be routed to outputs (1,2,3,4,5,6, LR), you cannot assign FX bus bus by itself to an alt-out. If you truly need 4 stereo auxes, plus an LR, I am afraid you are just beyond the capabilities of the CQ line in my opinion.

Participant

Ok!
    Thank you for your answers.
    I understand the Alt Outs now.

About using the FX slot to cheat for an extra stereo IEM output.
    I can’t emulate this in the demo mode of the app…
    Can this be feasable?
    Can I send only an FX slot to physhical outputs for example outputs 1 and 2, keeping it dry and sending the channels I need to it as if it where an extra AUX Stereo?
    Or doing this always sends the audio to the AUXES OUT1 and OUT2?

Profile photo of Anonymous
    Inactive

You can’t use an FX to cheat as an extra output because you cannot route an FX to anything other than the six OUTS and/or Main LR so you don’t gain an extra destination by trying to run it through the FX.

When you gang a set of outputs (say Out1/Out2) to stereo pair then they show as ganged in the FX outputs (one fader for both Out1/Out2) but you also get a pan control so theoretically could send the wet signal to only one of the outputs in the stereo pair.

The specs on this board indicate six (mono) outputs plus main LR. I don’t see any way to expand that by manipulating any settings with regard to FX. Sorry 🙁

Participant

Alright!
    Thank you for your help!
    Cheers!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.