Balancing Send & Return FX Levels

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Balancing Send & Return FX Levels

This topic contains 19 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

On the mixer take all of the trim settings back to 0db.

As for the wireless gain staging start at pack and with the mic on the
    person speaking and them speaking at their normal level adjust the gain
    high enough to to get a solid level leaving a bit of head room for the
    louder unexpected peaks.
    You can watch the metering on the receiver as you adjusting the pack and
    or the metering on the pack.
    From that point adjust the input channel gain.

At least on the All Souls videos you linked to I’m going to say they are doing a full post production remix or they have a really nice video and audio control room to produce the live broadcast in.

I have a hard time buying into the thing when anybody sells an effects package, plugins
    or a plug in template claiming that “package” will get you the same results that they are getting. There are far too many variables involved from one persons production to another.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Graham,

Sorry I didn’t see your follow up posts until now.

As far as the Dyn8, I am using the dynamic eq portion of it for the mics (I posted the video of pulpit mic because it is the most obvious to point out, but we do it on pretty much all open mics). Basically I use just two bands – a “high” and a “low” but they crossover somewhere in the middle and cover the entire frequency spectrum. They have fast attach and fast release settings and a pretty low threshold and it’s set to cut 6-10 db of sound. But they are set for “under” meaning it is reducing the eq while the volume is below the threshold (when no one is speaking/singing into the mic) and takes the eq cut away when the signal goes above the threshold.

I should have taken a picture of what it looks like today, but I didn’t think about it.

Profile photo of GrahamF
    GrahamF
    Participant

Thanks Mike,

I reduced the sensitivity of the transmitter, because it was blasting the GLD-80 input. Even with the gain and slider right down, it was still feeding back loudly through FOH. I also had problems with distortion, which seemed to be due to clipping in the preamp. I was using some trim to avoid preamp clipping, but maybe that was a mistake? I am still getting some background hiss (much less than before), so I will try increasing the transmitter sensitivity.

Due to COVID-19, I can’t get close enough to the transmitter to look at the meter, while the service leader is speaking. However, I can ask my wife to stand in for her, while I read the meter. That should be close enough.

Thanks again for your helpful advice,
    Graham

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@grahamf

Can you see the meter on the receiver?
    That is more likely the issue than the transmitter.

I would remove the pad on the transmitter to ensure max gain to stop the hiss at the source.
    If that clips worse then you may just have a noisy transmitter that needs fixing.
    Then adjust the receiver output so as not to overload the mixer preamps but still keeping enough signal to avoid noise.
    Then tweak the preamp gain to get the proper levels to feed other processing and finally the output amps.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You want to run the transmitter audio level as high as possible while leaving
    some headroom for a loud talker outburst.
    You can look at the transmitter level on the transmitter pac along with the peak
    light and or the audio level on the receiver.

After setting that go into the receiver set up menu to the audio level screen and there
    you can turn down the output of the transmitter to give you more gain adjustment room
    on the mixer input.

On an analog wireless the system signal to noise for the most part is determined
    on how well the gain is set at the transmitter.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.