assign FX1 to all tracks

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions assign FX1 to all tracks

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Steven18 Steven18 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Steven18
    Steven18
    Participant

Hello everyone, I can’t seem to assign the FX1 effect to all of my tracks from 1 to 16, how do you do it? thank you for your help, best regards

Profile photo of RC77
    RC77
    Participant

Hello, To assign FX1 to the tracks, first make sure the fx1 send and fx1 return faders are up on the top layer. Then return to the channel layer and press the fx1 button in the master strip. The faders now adjust the level of fx1 on each channel. Hope this helps!

Steven18
    Participant

Hello RC77 i try this and tell you …. thanks you very much !

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Make sure you do not send fx1 or any fx back into itself, as in bringing up the fx1 send level on the fx1 return channel.

Steven18
    Participant

okay i tried it doesn’t work the way i would like. Let me explain: I would like to assign the same reverb to several channels, for example on channels 1,2,3,4 (lead vocals and choir). I want the same FX1 reverb while still being able to adjust its intensity level. I managed to do it by sending it to an auxiliary, for example 5 and 6 (stereo) but it takes me an auxiliary … there must be some way to do otherwise? Thanks for your help.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What mixer do you have?
    Are you using it foe live sound or are you wanting to do a multitrack
    recording?

Do you get any FX at all on the channel you want to apply FX1 to?

It is possible to change the FX send and return routing from the default
    by flipping so to speak the FX unit around and making patch changes on the
    back of the unit, do you do anything like that?

You can change channel by channel FX send levels as well as overall FX levels
    when you select the FX1 button on the right side of the mixer.

The FX master send and return level are on the top layer.

There is no need to use stereo aux 5-6 to use FX1 on any Qu mixer.

Steven18
    Participant

I use the QU-PAC, I get the FX1 only on 1 channel, if I want to put reverb on channel number 2, I must take fx2 and so on (so I am limited to four channels with l ‘effect). I would like to use FX1 on any channel, thanks for your help

Steven18
    Participant

I only use it for live concerts

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@steven18

The FX Rack units work in the same way as having an outboard multi-FX rack unit does with an analogue console.
    There is one instance of an effect for each FX ‘slot’, so in Qu you have 4 slots, meaning you can have 4 different FX running at once.
    You can either insert an FX unit into a single input channel (or output mix channel), or for what it sounds like you want to do here, you can combine multiple channels to send to each unit.
    To use a single FX unit for multiple channels, set it to ‘Mix -> Return’ on the rear of the unit, then select the mix you want to use to send to it.
    On the Qu-Pac, there are 4 dedicated FX sends for this purpose and each is tied to an FX unit. i.e. FX send 1 goes to FX unit 1.
    Sending input channels to an FX send is the same as sending to any other mix, you can choose to assign/unassign any input channel, set the send to be pre or post fade (pre is independent from the main mix, post is more commonly used for FX like delay or reverb as it will follow the send levels to the main mix).
    From a default setup, you need only select the FX1 send and raise the faders of input channels you wish to send to it.
    Then your mix of channels goes into the FX unit, gets processed and ‘comes back’ to the mixer on an FX return channel.
    Again, there are dedicated FX return channels which match the FX units, so FX return 1 comes from FX unit 1.
    FX returns work in the same way as input channels, you can assign or unassign them from any mix and also have control of the level of the returned/affected signal going to any mix (especially handy with delay for example, as you can send the delay to the main output, but maybe not monitors where it could distract musicians and singers).

There’s a section on sending to FX units in the user guide here – https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mixer-Reference-Guide-AP9372_10.pdf#page=57&zoom=auto,-274,783
    and a great video from Rob McLaughlin explaining the whole send/return concept here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj7wNadYXFk

Hope this helps!
    Keith.

Steven18
    Participant

Thank you very much for the detail and the precision of your answer, I understand better now, thanks to Keith and all those who paid attention to my problem

Steven18
    Participant

yahouooo, it works !!! thank you for your help, you are the best, best regards

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.