AES / SQ-Link connection

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions AES / SQ-Link connection

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Soundave
    Soundave
    Participant

Hi, I’m considering using the AES output for my SQ7 mains but also need to send a sub output.
    We are getting a GX-4816 and a second SQ7 for monitors. Since the two consoles will be linked by the SQ-LINK, will I be able to route the sub signal from FOH through the SQ-LINK, to the monitor console and out its AES output to the amps?
    Is that too convoluted?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

it’s possible

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi Soundave,

But hold in mind:
    If the outputs to your PA (in your case Left, Right, Sub) won’t be a the same physical device (same Stagebox or the same mixer) there will be added some latency because the digital path via S-Link will take some time…

So there WON’T be Phase Coherence between your Sub’s an Top’s.

But maybe it won’t make that much …
    (it’s micro seconds)
    It depends on your setup.

Greetings

greetings.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

ioTon is correct. The timing won’t be exactly the same if you send outputs via two different methods (some using physical outputs from a console and some using outputs from the stagebox). The same is true with inputs from different devices (whether a stagebox or console).

I was surprised to measure this myself using Avantis because Allen and Heath’s marketing department does a great job in selling the idea that the consoles are “phase coherent”. But that only applies when you use I/O from the same device – the same console or the same stagebox. As soon as you start mixing and matching I/O sources, the phase coherence goes out the window.

Of course even if the outputs are coming from the same I/O source, the physically placement of the subs vs the mains might result in the signals not being exactly in time as well. So while using two different I/O sources will certainly cause a slight timing issue, it isn’t the only way it occurs.

All this to simply same that using two different output devices will certainly work and no one will “hear” the delay, but it does effect phasing and you can likely get a clearer overall mix if you have the ability to measure the latency between the subs and mains and make corrections on the console (delay setting) so the timing does match. Of course this is best practice in every situation, even when you are not mixing I/O sources.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.