Random volume changes

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Random volume changes

This topic contains 25 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bigbean bigbean 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sound Doctor
    Sound Doctor
    Participant

I love my GLD, have used it on several gigs with different bands using different show setups with great success. However with the last two gigs, I experienced seemingly random overall volume changes in the main outs of about -10db every 10-15 minutes or so. I checked connections and 2412 has a check at console yellow lights flashing. Bass player uses IEM earbuds connected to a ME and says he noticed this as well.
    It is almost like there is a random -10db pad switching on and off at various intervals. All channels affected equally. Power at 2412 and console is solid. Latest software updates completed. New additions to the system before are six ME-1s via pOE switch.
    Any ideas.? I am stumped.
    Rick

Rick
    GLD80
    AR2412
    AR84

Sound Doctor
    Participant

PS I made a 24 track recording of both shows via MMO ADAT outs, will check tracks to see if that was also affected. If yes makes me think a problem with AR2412…?

Rick
    GLD80
    AR2412
    AR84

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The fact that the bass player heard it too suggests that it is the AR2412. As you said, you’ll see this in the recording if true.

Where in the signal chain are you feeding the ME’s from? Socket, channel direct out, somewhere else? It’s happening at or before this point.

Chris

Sound Doctor
    Participant

ME”‘s get their signal from dir out. The volume issue also occurs at LR main outs as well. Seems like a whole system issue.

Rick
    GLD80
    AR2412
    AR84

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

If the preamps are turning down this would affect the signal at all points, the LR bus itself could be fine but the signals feeding it may be at a reduced level.

Chris

Sound Doctor
    Participant

Chris that makes sense. So I am at the same gig again tonight same band all I did last night was power down the GLD and AR2412′ turn off mains etc., then back on tonight. No issues with volume changes so far tonight except when I move sliders on purpose….must have been digital ghosts.
    Thanks for your support of this issue and many others. We all have lots of expertise to share.
    How many sound guys does it take to change a light bulb? None we don’t do lights.

Rick
    GLD80
    AR2412
    AR84

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Glad it seems to be working. Did you find out if the volume changes affected the multitrack recording?

If they didn’t we have more thinking to do…

Chris

Sound Doctor
    Participant

Chris, et al
    Could not tell from the recording if there were volume changes. I would have to spend hours listening to be able to really tell. Already did that at the gig…
    I reinstalled the latest firmware update, did a full rehearsal (monitors only for the band – I listened to mains feed via headphones)last night with no problems. Hopefully that is the last of the volume issue. Have gig this Friday for about 3 hours that will be the next test of the system.
    Of course, I will likely not have any problem.
    Will let you know what happens.
    Rick

Rick
    GLD80
    AR2412
    AR84

Sound Doctor
    Participant

OK, this is definitely an issue. Gig last night, band uses IEM via ME-1’s, the whole system went down in volume about 5-10 deb, including in the ME’s. Not a problem with mains or power, have eliminated other causes to something with GLD and/or AR2412. Reinstalled firmware prior to last nights gig.
    Anyone else ever have this experience? Any suggestions?
    Rick

Rick
    GLD80
    AR2412
    AR84

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Down’s cool, it doesn’t feed back. [;)] Did you get it multitracked?

Chris

Sound Doctor
    Participant

Chris
    Yes, but have not listened to it yet. Will do so later today…Hope to be able to see the change there, proving my theory that it is a system wide issue.
    Yeah down is better than up, still a pain.

Rick
    GLD80
    AR2412
    AR84

Profile photo of Volum
    Volum
    Participant

I had a Mandolin connected to a DI-box, connected to the AR84 and via Cat5 in to the AR2412 and the GLD, a couple of weeks ago. The input preamp was adjusted to 0db on the meter, all was well on soundcheck and also the first set of the gig, but on the third song of the second set the gain suddenly boosted on the input, and the channel started feeding in the players monitor (wedge).

Could this be a similar problem to yours, only reversed?

I checked the DI when I got home, and it is ok (did an A/B-test with a similar one)…

Willy
    FOH-tech.
    GLD-80
    AR2412
    AR84

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Volum

The input preamp was adjusted to 0db on the meter, all was well on soundcheck and also the first set of the gig, but on the third song of the second set the gain suddenly boosted on the input, and the channel started feeding in the players monitor (wedge).

Did the value of the preamp setting change, or did it just get louder?

Chris

Profile photo of plevrier
    plevrier
    Participant

Hey Rick,

The pre-amp settings that changed (or think that changed) where they a stereo and a mono channel ? And did you use the ipad app during the show ?

regards,
    Pascal

GLD80 :-)

Sound Doctor
    Participant

Pascal.
    It was ALL channels. I used the iPad infrequently.

Interesting discovery after the last gig: no volume changes on multitrack recording via MMO card on console. Also could not save shows to thumb drive. Discovered one of the saved ME-1 files on the thumb drive was corrupt. Saved all the files to my computer and reformatted thumb drive, then could save shows to thumb drive again.
    A&E rep recc to re-set GLD to factory and then rebuild shows from factory template. Not too bad to do as I am getting pretty good at setups for new bands..

Also have ordered a A&H approved snake. Hopefully one or all of these efforts will eliminate the volume changes.
    Will keep you all informed. Next live gig is June 8.

Rick
    GLD80
    AR2412
    AR84

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.