Question re: split and recording for video studio

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Question re: split and recording for video studio

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stix Stix 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jonathho
    jonathho
    Participant

Our church currently has T112 at FOH w/ idr64 + MMO backstage, using the MMO to drive Aviom for monitors, plus we mix some IEM at FOH. (no monitor position) We currently send a copy of FOH output on 2 analog lines from FOH to video studio for video recorders/internet streaming but would like to add a surface in our video studio so an engineer there could mix live the audio for video/streaming plus perhaps track as well. To keep training to a minimum I’m looking to add a T-series surface and use the onboard output (or perhaps mix engine out) to feed audio to our video/streaming systems. We’re also looking down the road and would like to multi-track audio for later mix down in the studio, thinking Dante there. The run from iDR64 / stage to video studio is approximately 200 feet.

Anyone have any ideas, input, suggestions around this plan?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan
    House of Worship FOH Engineer
    Charlotte NC

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

Hey Jonathan,

From your description, you might be under the impression a Mixrack can power two surfaces at the same time, which isn’t the case.

For your situation what would make the most sense would be to purchase an iDR 16 and whatever T surface you’d like, and then use a digital split standard (Dante, Ethersound, etc) to transport your audio. If you arent’ interested in digital split compatibility, you could use ACE and keep everything in the A&H domain.

Hope this helps

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

jonathho
    Participant

Thanks and yes I realize we’ll need a 2nd mix rack (thus the idr0 or idr16) but really it comes down to keeping in the A&H domain or transporting via Dante, etc. The biggest issue is our stage mix rack must have the MMO card for Aviom and so if I’m adding a 2nd mix rack then I’m thinking use A&H audio/control to get to the studio and have the benefits of the mix rack in the studio too. There’s almost too many options to consider which I guess is a good thing! Just wondering what others were doing for a video/studio and FOH split – not unlike monitor split for most use cases.

quote:

Originally posted by tk2k

Hey Jonathan,

From your description, you might be under the impression a Mixrack can power two surfaces at the same time, which isn’t the case.

For your situation what would make the most sense would be to purchase an iDR 16 and whatever T surface you’d like, and then use a digital split standard (Dante, Ethersound, etc) to transport your audio. If you arent’ interested in digital split compatibility, you could use ACE and keep everything in the A&H domain.

Hope this helps

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by jonathho

Thanks and yes I realize we’ll need a 2nd mix rack (thus the idr0 or idr16) but really it comes down to keeping in the A&H domain or transporting via Dante, etc. The biggest issue is our stage mix rack must have the MMO card for Aviom and so if I’m adding a 2nd mix rack then I’m thinking use A&H audio/control to get to the studio and have the benefits of the mix rack in the studio too. There’s almost too many options to consider which I guess is a good thing! Just wondering what others were doing for a video/studio and FOH split – not unlike monitor split for most use cases.

If that’s the case Dante is certainly the way to go. If you ever find you want to do multitrack for non-live recording mixes all you need is a computer + daw software (dante virtual sound card) and its just a few $$ more than other protocols. Also more and more video transport is being done over Dante (dante is protocol neutral, meaning just like bit torrent, the content doesnt matter)

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

But as you may want to multitrack record then Dante would be the way to go: Add Dante card to your IDR64, add IDR16 + Dante, T surface,+ one of the newly announced ME-U rack mount network hubs with Dante in card to feed Aviom – Might cost a bit thou!
    For cheaper options you could start by just adding Dante to the IDR64 and an ME-U hub + Dante card then use Editor to mix an Aux buss for video and Dante DVS to record? You could add the additional iLive system at a later date.
    Or how about add a GLD80 mixer with a Dante card and AR2412? The AR2412 will give you an Aviom compatible feed? Again use Dante DVS to record.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Hey Jonathan,

This is in fact possible, if the second (or third or fourth) ‘surface’ is an editor (with physical faders attached if needed) and if you can do with half the channel count in case you want completely separate channel EQ for broadcast. I do see that this is maybe not the most ideal situation to avoid any training need, though :)

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

Yes, we’ll, that’s why it’s not called a surface, it’s an editor. No pfl or talkback or surface patching etc

quote:

Originally posted by woutert

quote:

Hey Jonathan,

This is in fact possible, if the second (or third or fourth) ‘surface’ is an editor (with physical faders attached if needed) and if you can do with half the channel count in case you want completely separate channel EQ for broadcast. I do see that this is maybe not the most ideal situation to avoid any training need, though :)

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

jonathho
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your input, I think the decision will come to using A&H audio and control between mix racks or using Dante and new hub to feed aviom – that was a good suggestion. Thanks again!

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

Sounds like you could just get a GLD for your video split with the Dante Card and use the Monitor out to feed existing aviom system.
    2x Dante Cards, 1x GLD surface and you are done.

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Isn’t the monitor out on GLD only on the AR2412 rack?

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.