PAFL and Stereo oddities…

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions PAFL and Stereo oddities…

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stealth Stealth 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #22882
    Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

    Today I’m struggling to get a stereo input to route correctly to main L-R. Seems like the left channel is getting through but the right isn’t. The preamp status shows L&R signals coming in correctly, so the signal is clearly getting in. The input channels are stereo-linked. Listening to the input on PAFL gives a mono-summed signal.

    Which leads me to my next issue. Last week I was able to monitor stereo inputs or output mixes in stereo on PAFL. Today, I seem to be stuck in mono, and can’t find what I did to switch modes. The PAFL seems to work fine from the main mix, which is defaulted to feed PAFL when nothing else is selected.

    Thoughts, anyone?

    Work web: http://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: http://abstractnoise.co.uk

    #28978
    Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

    Update: MONO button below phones volume, duh! That’s PAFL sorted. But still not the stereo input only sending one leg into the main mix.

    Work web: http://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: http://abstractnoise.co.uk

    #28984
    Profile photo of sraymond
    sraymond
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by abstractnoise

    Update: MONO button below phones volume, duh! That’s PAFL sorted. But still not the stereo input only sending one leg into the main mix.

    Work web: http://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: http://abstractnoise.co.uk


    I don’t have a board, just a rack, but in the editor there’s an setup option for adjusting what’s going to PAFL from the mains. If the board is similar maybe it is unassigned. If someone didn’t do it, maybe a glitch. If you aren’t getting a signal at the actual output connector this won’t be any help.

    Scott

    iDR 32
    iDR D-Out
    MMO
    Lenova T61, M90, iPad soon I hope.

    #28991
    Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth
    Moderator

    Hi abstractnoise

    If you recall a factory template show does this fix the issue?

    Regards
    Sam A&H

    #29169
    Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

    Thanks Sam – will check this later today after some other maintenance. Might take the opportunity to update to 1.83 while I’m at it. Curiously it all seemed to work nicely last weekend with the same hardware/software/patching setup, so right now I’m thinking it was either an issue with the source or the material it was playing.

    Will update this thread with any findings.

    Work web: http://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: http://abstractnoise.co.uk

    #29183
    Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

    Hmm… playing with the board and source this morning I couldn’t make it repeat the same issue I had a couple of Sundays ago. I’ve applied the Firmware 1.83 update just to be current, and reimported the settings from USB and all seems well. Hopefully I’ll never see the issue again!

    Work web: http://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: http://abstractnoise.co.uk

    #30115
    Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

    UPDATE: Been seeing the issue again this last few weeks. Our stereo ambience feed tends to route ONLY the right channel to any other mix on the board. I’ve also seen the issue occur on stereo AV and piano inputs managed the same way. I’ve found two ways to bring stereo routing back:

    1) Select the affected stereo channel, and hold down the “SEL” key in the pre-amp section
    2) Reset the channel (holding RESET and selecting the channel SEL key).

    When the fault occurs:
    a) it’s usually the right channel that routes and the left channel going nowhere.
    b) PAFL (assuming it’s in stereo mode) sometimes plays stereo, otherwise will match the routing.
    c) the metering for the channel will show independent levels for L and R, with what look to be appropriate readings when using known source material.

    Usually, recalling a scene (our “Defaults” scene) will trigger the problem if it doesn’t exist. Resetting the affected channel, saving changes to the scene or the show, then recalling doesn’t help.

    I’m going to rebuild the desk settings from scratch today, and will then see if I can recreate the problem with fresh settings. If it behaves, I’ll see if I can run a differential report on the saved XML files for the old and rebuilt shows, to see if there’s a problem with the show file I’ve been carrying forward.

    Meanwhile, has anyone else seen this issue, and is there a known fix?

    Work web: http://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: http://abstractnoise.co.uk

    #30126
    Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth
    Moderator

    Hi abstractnoise

    this does sound strange, and does sound like it could be a software issue. If you are able to recreate this problem and store the settings in a show file. Please contact A&H support they will be able log the issue and support you directly so we can fix for the next release.

    Regards
    Sam A&H

    #29012
    Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

    Thanks Stealth – ticket and show file submitted.

    Work web: http://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: http://abstractnoise.co.uk

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.