Preamp specs?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tuejo Tuejo 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tuejo
    Tuejo
    Participant

Hi Ilivers.

I have a series of questions regarding the preamp in the IDR rack. Most of them I could answer myself if I had the time and energy to run the tests. I´m hoping someone else has done this or A&H have got some specs.

The Pad – does it activate another circuit or is it the same? Is it a dual preamp chip with a line module or a chip with a high range – or does the pad introduce a resistor in the signal chain?

Whats is the the frequencerespons of the pre and how does it evolve at higher gainsettings?

What impedance is the pre matched for?
    Finally – is the DA converter exactly the same in the IDR rack as in the T-series surface?

Best from Tue

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Tuejo

quote:

The Pad – does it activate another circuit or is it the same? Is it a dual preamp chip with a line module or a chip with a high range – or does the pad introduce a resistor in the signal chain?

No additional input circuitry for PAD implementation;
    For Both iLIVE (iDR-10 and iLIVE consoles) and iLIVE T-series Rack and consoles;
    The PAD is operated by switching in 25dB attenuation via resistors on input of Mic pre.

quote:

What’s is the frequency response of the pre and how does it evolve at higher gain settings?

The T-Series Mic pre has a flat frequency response at norminal gain and is very stable even at high gain. Max gain – roll off @-1dB is 35hz – 20Khz.
    The flagship iLive range has improved Low frequency roll off.

quote:

Finally – is the DA converter exactly the same in the IDR rack as in the T-series surface?

NO.
    The DAC for Both iLIVE (iDR-10 and iLIVE surface) range is the same.
    THE DAC for Both iLIVE T-series Rack and surface is the same but different to the iLive range.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of lawbass61
    lawbass61
    Participant

Sam, as I recall, when I was looking at investing in the iLive before buying it, the national rep told me that the preamps in the iLive are based on the M series of analog mixers. Is that still the case? Thanks as always.

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of Tuejo
    Tuejo
    Participant

Thats funny. I was told that it was not based on the M Series because it is not posible to remote control it. I was told that they use same chip as other known manufactures.

I was told that the pre, DAC and ADC in the T-series was the same! As the original Ilive. I called the sales person that, back then, sold me the first Unit. Hé confirmes this.

Profile photo of Stealth
    Stealth

Hi Lawbass61

The iLive preamp is a new design we have made for our range of digital console and was not taken from the ML series of mixer, so far we have had great feedback from the sonic quality of the preamp. We hope you are also happy with the sound quality?

Regards
    Sam A&H

Profile photo of lawbass61
    lawbass61
    Participant

Very happy Sam. Thanks.

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of Tuejo
    Tuejo
    Participant

Well… For the type of preamp it is it sounds really good. It has a color in 450 hz that I do not like and a lack of control in the 160-200 range (T-Series). I feel the same about the DigiCo.
    This is compared to preamps in the 1000 dollar pr channel range without ADC. I´m not sure if it is a surprise that other preamps that costs more money, generates more heat, adds a lot more weight also sounds better.

In the days before digi consoles I toured with Avalon 737 for my lead vocals. I guess I am relearning what I already knew :-)

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

I have to admit I can hear the difference between the modular and T series pre amps, my personal opinion is the modular sounds more open and honest, someone else may call them cold, I find the T-series a more warm sound, or you could call it coloured.
    Just goes to prove one man’s meat is indeed another man’s poison.

You could of course still carry a couple of Avalon’s or Crockwood’s or whatever takes your fancy though I think the pre’s sound pretty good to me. And I don’t need the weight lifting practice of another rack[8D]

Profile photo of Tuejo
    Tuejo
    Participant

I really like that we have this talk about the difference in the preamps. As earlier said, I thought they where the same in both Ilive and T-series.

I changed the output of my UR4D´s to line and I got more HF satuation and the vocals reacted different. Worth a try ;-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.