Bypass Preamp CQ12?

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ General Discussions Bypass Preamp CQ12?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of EastmanEastman
    Participant

I have an ART mp/c tube preamp on order. I plan to use it with my acoustic guitar signal chain. Is there a way to bypass the preamp on the CQ12?

Profile photo of SQuserSQuser
    Participant

The block diagram tells no.
    The preamp is necessary to adapt the signal to the AD converter.
    But what are your concerns about connecting this device to your CQ and using it like any other audio source?

Profile photo of EastmanEastman
    Participant

Thanks for the response. In the manual for the tube preamp it says this “Experiment with different input level settings for different textures.
    In most cases the Tube MP/C offers superior performance to the on-board preamp on your console. To use the Tube MP/C instead of your on-board preamp, simply connect the output of the Tube MP/C to the line input of your mixer’s input channel.
    Note: you can connect the XLR output jack of the Tube MP/C to the XLR input of your mixer, however most affordable mixers do not allow you to bypass their internal preamp when using the XLR jack. Use the Output switch and set it to the Inst. mode when connecting to a mic preamp. This will lower the output noise of the Tube MP/C and prevent overloading the input of the mic preamp.” Where it says simply connect to your line input to bypass the preamp, I assumed that was the best way to use this. But I noticed that when I plug a 1/4 into the combo jack i can’t bypass it. I just wanted to use the ART preamp the way they say it works best

Profile photo of SQuserSQuser
    Participant

Ah, now I understand more what you mean.
    Your CQ also has a line input that doesn’t use a microphone preamp, namely the ST IN.
    If you connect your device there in “line” mode and only use the L socket, it will be used in mono.
    This way you can try out whether it really makes a difference whether you connect your preamp to ST or the jack input of a combo socket.
    When comparing, set the adjustable input so that it is really as loud as the ST IN!
    For a second comparison, use the XLR input again and switch your preamp to “instr.”.
    I assume that the differences between all 3 variants, if the levels are identical, will be marginal.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.