Waves Superrack + Liveprofessor at the same time?

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive troubleshooting Waves Superrack + Liveprofessor at the same time?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of anotherone anotherone 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of anotherone
    anotherone
    Participant

Hi there

I‘m having an issue with my dLive + DM0 + Waves card + Mac mini m2 pro. I get rare but very bad glitches, similiar to what I‘m used to hear on older computers with DAWs when CPU overloads (but it doesn‘t seem to be reöated to CPU overload, see below).

On the Mac mini, I‘m running Waves Superrack + Live Professor + Pro Tools, all getting Input from the Waves Card, digitally clocked by the DM0.

Right before it happens, I get an AAE -6101 error in Protools and the recording stops. So the glitches never get recorded.
    The system usage CPU monitor within Protools never shows above 20% CPU usage.

Liveprofessor is showing me a „device was late“ orange error warning when it happens.

Any ideas what the issue could be and how to fix it? Many thanks in advance.

Profile photo of Mathias Thunbo
    Mathias Thunbo
    Participant

Hi

Are you using SuperRack Performer or SuperRack SoundGrid (with a server)?

It is hard to say anything about the LiveProfessor-situation without knowing more details. For example; is it a big session with a lot of cpu heavy plugins?

If I were you, I would watch the Mac application ‘Activity Monitor’ to see what is going on cpu-wise.

I would also make sure everything is running latest firmware..

Is the Mac connected directly to the Waves i/o Card? Or is there a network switch in between?

Which cat protocol do you use?

Do you have a USB C > Rj45 adapter you can try instead of the built in rj45 connector in the Mac (which I’m assuming you are using?)

Mathias Thunbo
    Participant

…also, in the case that you are using SuperRack SoundGrid; Do you get any red errors on your Setup-page?

anotherone
    Participant

Thanks Mathias,

I’m using Waves Superrack with a Server.

Mac mini is connected to Soundgrid Network using the internal RJ45 Port, the Switch is a Netgear GS108. I don‘t get any errors in Superrack.

LiveProfessor Session is rather light – two reverbs and a mixbus chain.

What I did in the meantime: I don‘t get any glitches or error warnings in LiveProfessor so far when:
    – I align the buffer sizes of Waves Soundgrid Driver in Superrack and LiveProfessor
    – and don’t open ProTools.
    At least the buffer size part makes sense to me.

I got the idea that it might be a good idea to have a second, separate ethernet interface for LiveProfessor so it‘s kept separate from Superrack?

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

So you are really running two computers – the Soundgrid server and the Mac Mini running Live Professor and Protools and you are trying to multitrack record using Protools, correct?

Logic says it is one of two issues – a hardware issue with the ethernet adapter or a software issue with Protools. I’m leaning towards a software issue with Protools. Therefore you should try using another DAW (Reaper would be an easy choice) to see if that solves the issues. If not I would try to use a different ethernet adapter (USB dongle) and see if that solves the issue.

anotherone
    Participant

so I found this warning from waves.
    I guess that‘s the explanation then.

Mathias Thunbo
    Participant

I got the idea that it might be a good idea to have a second, separate ethernet interface for LiveProfessor
    I would say this is not the issue. I do the same as you all the time, with no problems. I don’t use ProTools though (I use Logic Pro X).

I very much agree with Brians post.

The Waves-Warning you found, is regarding using the program ‘SoundGrid driver’. As I understand your situation, you are not using this program – but SuperRack SoundGrid. And as the article states “Using Apple Silicon Macs to run SoundGrid host applications, such as SuperRack SoundGrid … is fully supported.”
    So this is not the issue either, I would say.

anotherone
    Participant

Thanks Mathias.

Besides Superrack(+Waves Server), I’m using the Soundgrid Driver for recording with ProTools and also for LiveProfessor.

I think was able to pinpoint the dropouts.
    Superrack/Waves Server is not the issue.
    It happens only while using Pro Tools *and* LiveProfessor. Not when only using Waves Superrack, also not when using the Soundgrid Driver only for LiveProfessor (at least not with ~10 channels).
    But always when recording on the M2 Mac. Not when recording on my older Intel Mac.

It seems like when the Driver is making issues (= when the recording stops with an error), I’m getting dropouts/glitches on all Soundgrid Driver Channels, so also on the ones I’m only using for LiveProfessor.

So it actually looks like a compatibility issue as stated on the Waves Website.

I’m using a second Intel Mac instead of the M2 Mac for recording now. Awaiting a fix from Waves.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.