SQdrive – max number of playback files or filename

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQdrive – max number of playback files or filename

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of h2k h2k 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of h2k
    h2k
    Participant

SQ5 running 1.57 firmware. I’m setting up a USB stick formatted as SQdrive to playback files during the band break…and I’m hitting a number of issues. All files are WAV 44.1/16 (ripped from CD)
    1a) is there a maximum number of files that can be in the USBPLAY directory?
    1b) is there a maximum amount of space that can be used in the USBPLAY directory for WAV files?
    2a) Is there a maximum filename length?
    2b) are there any special characters in the filename that are not allowed?

My issue is that can have, for example, 40 files in the USBPLAY directory….then I add, for example, 10 more and when I mount the USBStick on the front of the SQ5, then it will sometimes not find any playback files. I can delete the last files I added, and still no files will appear. (I see them on my MacBook Pro, however.) The only recovery is to reformat the drive and start over.
    This happens on multiple USBSticks from different manufacturers.

I searched the forums. I can’t believe that I would be the first to find a bug like this and I anticipate it is operator error (me). Thanks for any guidance.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

I’ve never understood why people even try to use USB playback. Play them off that Macbook you refer to. It’s so much easier, more flexible, and more robust.

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Yep, it would really be nice if playing back off a USB thumb drive worked better. A MacBook takes up a lot of room on the table. But playback through the SQ Drive really doesn’t work so finding another solution seems to be the best bet. Sorry.

D.

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

Playback of the odd file for band intro music is convenient using SQ Drive.
    Anything else I use a laptop connected to ST1 or 2, and I always have a 3.5 to 3.5mm cable in ST3 (and Lightning/USB C adapters) plugged so I can drop a phone etc in at a moments notice.

Profile photo of h2k
    h2k
    Participant

The Macbook sits at home and is used to load the WAV files onto the USB Stick. That’s too much extra to bring to a gig, additional time for setup/teardown, and too much additional risk of damage by having to drag out a computer – when a simple USB stick can fit in your pocket and should work. You also need the USB stick if you want to record a stereo mix using SQdrive.
    The SQ5 is a computer running Linux (I assume – or similar OS). The feature is already (partially) programmed. It’s just needs to work.
    Last night I used an iPod (fits in my pocket) running into ST3. There’s always a workaround, but this feature needs to work.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.