SB (Stage Box) form factor for SQ-serie

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SB (Stage Box) form factor for SQ-serie

This topic contains 106 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nottooloud nottooloud 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Alex_Petrov_59
    Alex_Petrov_59
    Participant

Dear Allen&Heath, please, make SB with SQ inside!
    Folks, please, confirm that it will be very profitable action for Allen&Heath!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

There have been many requests for this (or a Pac version).

It would be interesting to know how many inputs/outputs different people would want.

Presumably any version would have the St inputs, USB & headphone out + the expansion card slot.

I think 16/8 would be enough for me, as I’d want to use a full desk, rather than a screen, for anything with large channel count anyway. If it could go on stage and be used a simple stage box for larger shows, I’d certainly want one.

But I can also see situations in which a smaller version (even with no built in I/O for installs) would be used with remote I/O.

Larger versions will always be wanted by some people, but would 32 (or even 48) inputs ever really get much use?

So, what would others want to see?

Alex_Petrov_59
    Participant

I think the best variant of SQ-SB or SQ-PAC will be with the same configuration as has SQ-7 but without faders.
    But input sockets have to be as on QU-SB or Combi TRS/XLR in quantity 16/8

Alex_Petrov_59
    Participant

I mean SQ core 32 – configuration from outside like on QU-SB (QU-PAC) but inside configuration like SQ-7.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

I have both a QUsb and a SQ5 with a DX168 stage box. Total reliance on wi-fi control has e few inherent risk factors that the trustworthy motorized faders and encoders do not present. For my solo guitar/vocal shows the QUsb was pretty much a perfect fit: set the desired values and leave it alone. This was also an acceptable tool for a few of the session ready Bluegrass bands I have worked with for years. However in the event very much manipulation of the processing values are needed the response lag becomes highly problematic. Last march I did a three day turn key audio/video of the stage show “Joseph & T A T R C”: It was , with out question, the most difficult job I have undertaken in my 5 decades in the business. The reason was this was the first stage show I had attempted with the I-Pad only controlled QUsb: the subject “Lag” made what otherwise a wonderful gig a very hard job!

A SQsb will work well for some gigs however the question is whether or not the improved SQ processing creates enough demand for it to replace the QUsb—maybe yes– maybe no.
    Hugh

Alex_Petrov_59
    Participant

Yes, Hugh, you are right – control application for QU-SB could be much better but a snake cable for FOH (CAT5 or CAT6) to PC or Mac with Touch screen not a bad solution in this case.
    In any case I hope for SQ-SG our loving Allen&Heath has chance to make better control application.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

If a SQ-SB option were to be available, I’d like to see at least 4 soft keys on it, to allow local playback/recording controls, scene advance/go and at least one “emergency” mute group. This is pretty much my starting point for anything I use the Qu-Pac for. I guess any act mixing themselves would want the footswitch too.

But for operation, I’d probably go with a laptop wired in, + a tablet or two, most of the time.

Profile photo of maw92
    maw92
    Participant

Id actually favour a non preamp 1HE of 2HE Version of the sq, at max something like 8/4 + some TRS in/outs.
    Make ist as small and cheap as possible!

Cause lets face the facts, why would we all all choose a SQ – Pac over Qu? enhanced DLive Processing and optional Preamps + the availabilty of Option cards like waves and Dante!

Id grab one of those instantly despite having a sq 5 <3

Alex_Petrov_59
    Participant

Hi Maw92,
    Look on motu 1248…
    About SQ-SB – I think, it will be more profitable for A&H only to remove from SQ-5 all faders… The rest of SQ-5 will be without changes. Maybe only TRS/XLR inputs will be changed (on my wish:-)

Alex_Petrov_59
    Participant

Hey Folks,
    Maybe somebody has information about plans of A&H for SQ-SB and SQ-PAC – please, mention it here. It is allow to make this topic more active.
    Without our activity A&H thinks that it is not interesting for us…
    QU-serie is practically closed for improvement – nothing will happend with it.
    We have to ask about improvement of SQ-serie in direction “low cost”.

Alex_Petrov_59
    Participant

Hey Allen&Heath! Did you see New Midas Heritage-D Air
    Maybe your answer will be SQ-SB or SQ-PAC ?!!
    We are waiting…

Profile photo of MRD_Sound
    MRD_Sound
    Participant

A SQ-SB would be great, especially as the QU-SB is looking a bit old now!

Alex_Petrov_59
    Participant

Dear A&H,

Could you tell me when comes for sell SQ-SB or SQ-PAC?

Best regards

Alex_Petrov_59
    Participant

+1000

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@Alex_Petrov_59 et al,

We are always working on new products (as well as developing current products) though never confirm/deny what these are.
    So although we would never be able to answer “Could you tell me when comes for sell SQ-SB or SQ-PAC?” I can say that it’s something we get requested every now and then, and seem to be getting more requests for again recently.

Many of those I’ve spoken with about the format see that either a Qu-Pac or Qu-SB will do everything they actually want to do right now, with a few exceptions (e.g. where an option card is required) and it’s understandable that future proofing means getting more channels than might be required today (i.e. if using 32 channels – or 38 channels with the stereo inputs – Qu-Pac or Qu-SB will be fine until you suddenly need a few more). Oh… and the XCVI processing of course!

So we do get it, and Mark posed some great questions, but what would be really useful to know is not just what you’re thinking of regarding I/O or features but why.

If we do create something in this kind of format for the SQ range, it needs to be useful to as many engineers as possible and even in this short thread you can see how tricky that might be – with just 5 users involved in the discussion, there’s already “0 local I/O” vs “SQ-7 I/O”!

Cheers,
    Keith.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.