RTA just doesnt work sometimes on QU16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions RTA just doesnt work sometimes on QU16

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lee7 Lee7 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@coffee_king

There is a link to open a new ticket on the support.allen-heath.com page, but you can also email support@allen-heath.com and we’ll get it.
    Videos are often very helpful, so yes, please send these through to us (they’ll be too big to attach to a post here).

Hopefully one of them includes the no RTA on screen with the LED meters and PAFL LED showing as this is the strangest thing – being that both are fed from the PAFL bus (so you can see on the metering the same as you’re hearing on the headphone output at any time).

Thanks,
    Keith.

KeithJ A&H

@coffee_king

Thanks for sending through the videos 🙂
    I see Rafa has already responded but for anybody else who comes across this thread:

The PAFL bus is like a very (VERY) basic mix with no processing that allows you to route individual channels, or multiple channels when in additive mode, to the headphones, LED meters and RTA.
    [as an aside, you can also route the PAFL output to the ALT out or remote sockets which can be handy for engineer IEM’s or monitor speakers in the studio]

Therefore, the RTA and main meter LED’s (not the ones per channel) will always show the same as what’s being sent to the headphones.
    If you can’t hear anything in the headphones, there will be nothing on the meters.
    Even when you don’t have headphones plugged in, it’s useful to think of this as a separate bus to ensure you’re sending signal to it when wanting to see that signal on the RTA/main meters.

By default, when no channel is being PAFL’ed (no PAFL keys are pressed), the LR mix will be fed to the PAFL bus and therefore the headphones/RTA/main meters.

In the video, we can see that a channel has been PAFL’ed which is either not sourced from anything or silent, so although there are meters illuminating on individual channels, nothing was being sent to the PAFL bus.

The reason a restart fixed this was because on boot, nothing is PAFL’ed.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

So to make sure the RTA will always work on screen do what exactly/have what buttons selected/not selected?
    Make sure NO PAFL button is selected?

KeithJ A&H

@coffee_king

If you want the RTA to show your main LR mix:

1. Check that ‘LR to PAFL’ is ‘On’ in the ‘Setup > Audio > PAFL’ screen.
    2. Make sure no PAFL key is selected. To be sure, the red PAFL LED (between the main meters above the Talk key) will be illuminated if PAFL has been pressed on any channel.
    3. Ensure the master send level for LR is turned up, though this is only important if ‘Output AFL’ is ‘On’ in the ‘Setup > Audio > PAFL’ screen.
    4. Navigate to the RTA screen.

If you want to see the RTA for a single or multiple channels (inputs or mixes):

1. By default, PAFL will only work on one channel at a time, so if you want to view multiple channels at the same time, ensure ‘Additive’ is ‘On’ in the ‘Setup > Audio > PAFL’ screen.
    2. In the same screen, decide if you want to see signal before (pre) or after (post) the channel fader by switching AFL (after fade listen) ‘On’ or ‘Off’. By default, input channels are sent to the PAFL bus pre fader (AFL=Off) and output/mix channels are post fader (AFL=On).
    3. Press one or more (with Additive=On) PAFL keys.
    4. Navigate to the RTA screen.

One other cool thing with any model that has faders (Qu-16, Qu-24, Qu-32) is that you can see the RTA on the channel LED’s when in GEQ Fader Flip mode.
    This is really useful for ringing out monitors and shown here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcOuG_tkGc4

Hope this helps!
    Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of EgeCoskun
    EgeCoskun
    Participant

I joined here just to tell you how incompetent you are. I’ve been using digital mixers for almost as long as they’ve been available. I purchased two of your digital mixers for the school I work at for the sake of sound quality, and your tablet app is a complete disaster! (It’s been about 4 years since I bought the mixers.) I’ve been waiting in vain for a useful update in your app, but I guess it’s a lost cause. Even the cheapest mixers have channel coloring (which is really useful for quick grouping and efficiency during concerts, believe me), and each channel PEQ should have an RTA feature (I can’t explain the benefits of this right now) but it never came. It shouldn’t be this difficult. I’ll be switching to companies that are more advanced in terms of technology and updates as soon as possible. Please don’t come to me saying, ‘These features are available in our next-generation mixers,’ because you can deceive people once.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Ah, bummer ! Always a shame to loose constructive cheerful positive people. Bye bye.

Giga

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@egecoskun

Use your ears as that is why we have them, you do not need an RTA, although they can be useful.

The MixPad app is excellent, very responsive and everything is in plain sight to see. It has taken you 4 yrs to decide that you made a mistake? The QU series was released at the back end of 2013 and you bought them in or around 2019 which is almost 7 yrs into the products life! Unlikely that an RTA will be added, it is a feature that has been asked for on many occasions, if they haven’t added it by the time you bought your desks, what makes you think that they will add that feature 4 years later down the road? You’re probably best to sell those two excellent desks and move over to another brand.

🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.