Qu32 Mix issue

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu32 Mix issue

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Corrielivs
    Corrielivs
    Participant

I’m currently using a Qu32 to run a worship band at my Church.
    I have a mix output which I have used for a speaker which is ran separate from the main PA, with a slightly different mix. I have been asked to connect this mix to the main fader output whilst not physically linking the speakers. I believe we are looking to achieve a mix output which follows the mix of the main PA whilst still having a separate master control for it.
    Would anyone be able to advise if this is possible? I have thought that I would just have to set the mix as post-fade, would this be correct?

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

Since you’re using the Qu-32, there are two approaches you could take. One is setting all the channels on the mix (ie mix 9-10) to post-fade and set the faders to the same level (or slightly changed for some of the instruments to account for the location sounding different being farther/closer to the stage); you can also EQ the mix output. The other way if you just want the same thing as LR without any EQ or other processing, or individual channel level adjustment is to use one of the matrix outputs on the Qu-32.

Corrielivs
    Participant

Thanks Ryan, that’s really helpful!
    To set the individual channels as post fade, would I do this whilst I have the mix selected? Also, in doing this, would this then cause the faders within the mix to respond to changes made within the main LR mix?

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

One way to set the individuals as post fade is with the mix selected (the setting for a channel can vary for each mix), press and hold the buttons to the far left of the green “select” buttons — then press the green buttons for the channels you want as post fade so that the light is on.

The faders when that mix is selected won’t move, but the volume levels will change based on changes made with the main LR mix.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

There’s another option.

You could use the Alt Out from the desk (there are options for what gets sent to this, including, IIRC, a mono combination or the mains outs) which gives you a quick physical volume control on the desk.

Corrielivs
    Participant

Ryan, just to clarify, the levels of the mix would change but the faders for the channels when the mix is selected wouldn’t reflect this?

Thanks for your response Mark, would you be able to explain how to do this? I’ve never used the Alt Out before!

Thank you so much again!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Have a look at section 11.14 (page 72) of the manual.

You’ll need to use balanced jacks (TRS) rather than XLRs

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

Exactly, the faders won’t reflect the changes in levels from the main mix (if main mix has bass all the way down, then no bass will be in this other mix even if its bass fader is all the way up).

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

Ah yes, I mostly use a Qu-SB which doesn’t have an Alt out. Under the I/O Patch -> Surface tabs there is a setting to make it Pre/Post fade for the LR main mix, or L+R for a mono option. Among being able to choose any other mix/group/matrix/pafl as the source.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

As mentioned you want the mix feeding the other speakers to be post fade and at least to start all the levels for that mix set the same on each channel. To set the entire mix to post fade, select that mix with the green select button on tap on the mix master fader using the iPad app, in the mix set up scree you can select the entire mix to be post fade and also at what point the mix is picked up within the channel, I would set that to post all.

In addition to all of that another thing that may be handy in your case it to assign the LR master and the mix your using master to a DCA. That way if needed you can use one common control fader to turn both the main and remote speakers up and down at the same time.
    You can still control each level independently as needed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.