Qu-16 Tracking to Logic – Compression to USB?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Qu-16 Tracking to Logic – Compression to USB?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of garyh garyh 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Miles J
    Miles J
    Participant

Hi,

In trying to convert from 8-channel interfaces to a Qu-16 for streaming to Logic, I was hoping to be able to use the Qu-16 channel compressors pre-DAW for tracking, but from the block diagram it looks like the USB stream is sent prior to any channel processing in the Qu. Is there a way to route the channel signal post-compressor to the USB stream?

Thank you!

iMac 27 2019 Catalina 15.4
    Logic Pro X 10.5

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

If you change the usb source from Insert Sends to Direct Out, you can change the Global Direct Out setting for all inputs to Post Compression.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@milesj

How many channels do you need? For stereo you could
    Run aux out or matrix out after compress into st3 the goto DO to USB to DAW.

Why not just record it into the DAW and compress there?
    Then you can always redo to adjust the amount/type of compression if the first try is too much/little.
    From the Qu compressor it would be baked in forever.

I did it that way and gave our MD 9 samples of compression to evaluate from the DAW.
    We ended up picking one he preferred but changing the amount applied for the final CD.

Profile photo of Miles J
    Miles J
    Participant

Thanks, Gary! I did see that Global Direct Out could be post-compression, I just did not know how to get there. The USB source change you are referring to is in Setup-> I/O Patch -> CH/ST Source, is that correct?

Profile photo of Miles J
    Miles J
    Participant

“How many channels do you need? For stereo you could
    Run aux out or matrix out after compress into st3 the goto DO to USB to DAW.

Why not just record it into the DAW and compress there?
    Then you can always redo to adjust the amount/type of compression if the first try is too much/little.
    From the Qu compressor it would be baked in forever.”

Hi, thanks for your reply. I will probably run compression on six to eight channels being recorded simultaneously. I have been doing as you say, compressing only once the tracks are in Logic, but some of our vocal and drum tracks are pretty dynamic, I’m trying to tame them a bit on the way in to maximize dynamic range of the ADC’s and help them sit better in the overall mix without excessive compression in Logic.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Setup-> I/O Patch -> CH/ST Source

Yes, this is where you set Direct Out. Then in one of the channel input settings you set where you want to tap the signal for all input channels going to the usb (it’s a global setting).

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Be aware Post Comp means all channel processing before compression is also included. Compression is the last in the chain.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.