Pre-fader output to headphone jacks

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ feature suggestions Pre-fader output to headphone jacks

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 3 hours, 20 minutes ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kubiertas
    Kubiertas
    Participant

He all,

I already posted this question in the ‘Help’ section.

It would be great if the feed to the headphone jacks would be pre-fader.
    Now when you turn down the master-fader the headphone volume is also turned down.
    It would be nice, especially for home recording, to be able to turn down the pa/monitor speakers for recording and still be able to listen to the tracks through your headphones.

You can of course use a separate output, but in my case I am already using all outputs.
    I do not onderstand the logic in having the headphones post-fader. They have there own (touchscreen) volume dails so why not feed them pre-fader?

Profile photo of Highflyer1953
    Highflyer1953
    Participant

Post fader is the usual position for an output monitor point, pre fader for inputs. The more expensive ranges from Qu upwards, do allow election.

Profile photo of Kubiertas
    Kubiertas
    Participant

oke, but what would be the benefit of feeding the headphone-outs post-fader. They already have there own volume control…

Profile photo of Smilzo
    Smilzo
    Participant

+1 for option “pre-post fader” for headphones

Profile photo of al31h
    al31h
    Participant

+1
    To my point of view, the Main L+R output in listen mode should be sent pre-fader to the headphones. A pre/post fader option would be great, but as a minimum, I think that pre-fader listen is necessary.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

This request gets to the heart of SR management: there are more than fader issues involved. A pre fader option is obviously necessary to maintain a reference point to audit the possibilities of gain staging misalignment, as well as the deployed ancillary effects (EQ, compression and FX). The over riding question is whether or not A&H would consider these activities too advanced for an entry level desk?
    Hugh

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.