More flexibility with stereo inputs/fx returns

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions More flexibility with stereo inputs/fx returns

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of woutersnoei woutersnoei 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of woutersnoei
    woutersnoei
    Participant

Hi,

Working with the SQ for a while now, I would very much welcome more flexibility with stereo channels, such as stereo inputs and fx returns. To me it would be very useful to be able to:

– switch to dual-mono compression
    – when assigning to a mono aux being able to choose if a sum or only left or right goes to the aux, or perhaps a balance control for the mix between left and right in those cases.
    – when assigning to a mono group; choose between sum, L or R.

Would (some of) these things be possible?

Cheers & thanks,
    Wouter

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

With ganging, all of these can be accomplished.

woutersnoei
    Participant

Perhaps for inputs, provided that you use a gang for each stereo pair, but also for stereo effect returns? I know it may be a rare use case, but I already stumbled upon it twice in the short time that I own this thing..

Btw; one thing I found out about ganging, is that a channel can only be in one gang at a time, even if different gangs use different features (let’s say one gang for eq’s and one gang for levels). So if I have to create gangs for stereo inputs, they can’t be ganged with other channels anymore.

woutersnoei
    Participant

Yet another use case: in a set I needed to feed the L and R speakers with different eq settings, because they were a bit – ahem – old. Turns out that is really hard to do, with a bunch of stereo input channels and some effect returns in the mix the only option would be to split the mainLR over two mono matrix buses. But that’s not possible, or did I not look well enough? This is the flexibility I’m talking about. Ideally there would be a balance pot for stereo channels mono buses (aux, matrix), which would regulate how much of the L and R is fed to the bus. Please?

Profile photo of JeroenAudio
    JeroenAudio
    Participant

Hi Wouter,

Why not use two stereo matrices and patch per matrix only one channel (either left or right) as output to your amplifier or active speakers? This gives you the flexibility to EQ/process the two channels independently.

Best regards/groeten,

Jeroen

woutersnoei
    Participant

Ha, yes I thought if that too, later :-). Still a bit of a workaround, but it would indeed work in this case.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.