Error Noise using jack cables without DI box (keyboard)

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ troubleshooting Error Noise using jack cables without DI box (keyboard)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kubiertas Kubiertas 4 days, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of luki_eh
    luki_eh
    Participant

Hello,

I recently received the CQ18T and it is generally fantastic; I love its features, and it is exactly what I need. Unfortunately, I am experiencing a problem with my keyboard:

For years, I have been connecting my keyboard directly to the mixer (previously a Behringer XR18) or to the speaker using a standard jack cable without a DI box, and I never had any issues.

Now, I have plugged my keyboard (YAMAHA YC73) into the CQ18T without a DI box, and suddenly I am getting a noise. The noise varies in volume and intensity depending on which menu page I am on with the CQ18T. It is loudest on the fader page.
    When I use an XLR cable from the keyboard, the noise disappears. The same happens if I use a DI box. However, I would much prefer to continue using just a jack cable as I have been, since the new keyboard I recently ordered from T (YAMAHA YC61) doesn’t have an XLR output, and I would like to avoid using a DI box.

The strange thing is, if I connect the keyboard directly to the speaker without the mixer, there is no noise. But if I connect the mixer (without anything else connected to the CQ18T) to the second input of the speaker, the noise reappears. So, I can’t connect my keyboard directly to the speaker and use the mics through the CQ18T as I have been because the noise is still there.

It seems to be an issue with the mixer. Do you think it might be a defective unit and an exchange would help? Or am I expecting too much by trying to avoid using a DI box?

Profile photo of Kubiertas
    Kubiertas
    Participant

Are you powering all the equipment from the same outlet? Sometimes I notice hum or other noise when I’m in a rehearsal space where the (power) wiring isn’t perfect…
    You can avoid grond loops by powering everything from one (the same) outlet.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.