Dante or XLR what is the win for one mic ?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Dante or XLR what is the win for one mic ?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of peterzoetermeer peterzoetermeer 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of peterzoetermeer
    peterzoetermeer
    Participant

Hello I have a SQ5 and I have a Sennheiser digital 6000 with Dante, I don’t use the Dante on my mixer I don’t have the Dante card 🙂
    but when I buy the card , I only use it for my Sennheiser digital 6000 is there a win ? situation ? latency quality? or is there no win win situation?

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

No win, more latency.

Best Regards.

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

Not quite sure why it would be more latency?

The 6000 series is digital from transmitter to DA/analog out on the receiver, and digital all the way to any Dante DA converter.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Hi Søren,
    OK — you are right… I revisited my last post:

Dante has a minimal latency of 0.25ms and SQ has a In-Out-Latency of <0.7ms. Lets say, the “input latency” of SQ is less than have the round trip latency, so less than 0.35ms and if you set Dante to 0.25ms (BTW: is it bold to use minimal latency settings?) you may not have more latency than the analog way.

I stay with: still no win if you have to buy a Dante-Card for 1000 bucks… conversion is really not a “sound-problem” these days.

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

Last part we agree upon completely, unless there is more equipment upgrades soon with Dante capability, it is too expensive for no immiedially gain. 🙂

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Dante is great and can really help expand the capabilities of the total audio system. That being said, there is ZERO reason to buy it for the sole purpose of connecting one (or more) wireless microphone receivers. Of course that is assuming you can use analog lines to connect them to the console. If you have some unique facility/situation where it would be impossible to connect via analog lines but could connect via Dante, then obviously that would change the situation.

Profile photo of peterzoetermeer
    peterzoetermeer
    Participant

Hi thank you so much for your messages, I sometimes feel like I notice a little bit of latancy but that’s because I think I’m paying attention, I now know that dante is not going to save me 🙂 I have to accept it 🙂 thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.