CQ20B asa midi device in DAW. What does it do?

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ General Discussions CQ20B asa midi device in DAW. What does it do?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of FatherTime
    FatherTime
    Participant

In the device settings I see the CQ20B as a midi device? How does that work and what does it do?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@FatherTime

Nothing at the moment, but we needed to include MIDI in the USB connection in case we ever want to implement a MIDI protocol (as we’ve done with Qu and SQ over USB-B in the past).

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of FatherTime
    FatherTime
    Participant

I’m new to your products but loving the CQ 20 I’ve recently purchased. I would pay for a midi control surface right now 500to1000 range.

Profile photo of pcpmafic
    pcpmafic
    Participant

After scouring the internet, this is the only official line I’ve found on anything related to MIDI on the CQ series.

Do you have any more information about what this MIDI functionality might look like?

I have a CQ18T would love 1:1 control over every parameter in the box for seamlessly integrating w/ my custom Ableton Live instrument (+1 if it’s customizable / assignable with a quick mapping sub-menu).

Thanks for any additional information, Keith.

KeithJ A&H

@pcpmafic

We’ve had requests for slightly different implementations at the moment.
    One way would be closer to Qu, where more parameters can be controlled at lower resolution (https://www.allen-heath.com/content/uploads/2023/06/Qu_MIDI_Protocol_V1.9.pdf)
    The other is closer to SQ, with fewer parameters at higher resolution, relative control and ‘get’ messaging (https://www.allen-heath.com/content/uploads/2023/11/SQ-MIDI-Protocol-Issue5.pdf)

The former is generally from producers and engineers, the latter from installers and integrators.

From your mention of use with Ableton, please add your voice to the feature suggestion section here – https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/cq-recive-midi-from-ableton 🙂

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of BobbyDazzler59
    BobbyDazzler59
    Participant

Hi Keith,
    Ref my recent emails on recent purchase of the CQ20B, my request is down the line of Midi patch/scene or plain parameter control from a setlist type live rig control. My ipad runs setlis maker which has midi patch and ram midi sends attached to every song, thus a bit of inginuity and planning, I may be able to use that to call up different scenes per song wgere there are different levels/muting and or different rack of effects if the software or firmaware upgrades will allow.
    VCA or DCA customisable features would also be benificial for grouping instruments to just one control fader, where the individual balances are kept proportional as the VCA moves, handy for drum grouping and backline etc.

KeithJ A&H

@bobbydazzler59

Thanks for sharing here! 🙂

Keith.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.