Live Recording

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Live Recording

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Robert Robert 13 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Musikhof
    Musikhof
    Participant

Are there any preferred suggestions for a Windows based live recording equipment (PC or Laptop) … we use idr 48 with Dante.

Hardware …
    Fast Hd (7200 rpm or faster) with 64MB or more onboard mem ?
    or even a Raid system ?
    4 GB system mem or more ?
    What OS ? 32bit XP-Pro, 64bit Win7 ?

I use Samplitude V11 PRO as recording SW in our Studio. It´s stable as hell and i will also use it for live recording.(PC/Windows based)

I don´t have any experience with the Dante drivers how much system performance they need to work properly without dropouts.

what would be a perfect PC based recording system ?

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

hey i am a samp user (since the floppy days), nobody has the card yet – but i am getting mine march 11 then i`ll go into into test mode, as far as i know ( i do live recordings with samp and rme for years) it is all about the drive speed, i remember recording
    48 track float straight on my laptop wich was a p4 but the drives where good) so 7200 should do.i do have a 64 pro 7 installed on my live recording computer, so if you can wait i`ll post a report…but if you cant wait: win xp sp 3 32bit (as sam is not 64) a “standardmachine” with 7200 drive(s).
    if you still have a “good” laptop sitting round (7200 hdd)with a decent lan i would definetely give it a try (one can buy dante licence for a day i believe its 15 usd),instead of running to the store and buy a new one.and not to forget if you still have samp 7.23
    sitting somewhere use that, to avoid bringing the dongle.

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (i am convinced audionate is not delivering coz i am a frank zappa fan)

Musikhof
    Participant

hi dave,

to prevent using a dongled software, i will install a SAM V10 SE. This should be quit good enough to record 48 parallel tracks. I simply need the rough audio wav. tracks to copy them to my studio system.

Laptop.. hmmm-.- for a 3 hours gig, recording 48 tracks with 48kHz … a “normal” laptop HD could be too small. I guess i would need more than 500 GB for this.

Musikhof
    Participant

How about a 19″ media server rack with a couple of scsi raid HDs ?
    Like this one… https://cgi.ebay.de/AVAYA-S8710-Media-Server-2-x-Xeon-3-06-GHz-2-GB-RAM-/370465245351?pt=DE_Technik_Computer_Peripherieger%C3%A4te_PC_Systeme&hash=item56417308a7
    or this …. https://cgi.ebay.de/CISCO-Media-Convergence-Server-MCS-7800-Series-/390270826357?pt=DE_Technik_Computer_Peripherieger%C3%A4te_PC_Systeme&hash=item5addf43775

Cheap – fast – enough HD space – secured storage (RAID) and can be placed in a standard 19″ rack with idr.
    simply add a monitor and keyboard and let it run….

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

of course this is a good solution – rackmount- if you are thinking of investing anyway i`d go for something like that, although raid is not so good for audio (see loads of posts in the sam user forum)i just wanted to point out that the disk speed is much more important than the cpu, it it rather a question of fsb (front side bus) in german:
    nicht prozessor power ist gefragt sondern daten durchsatz…

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 64 / idr 48 (i am convinced audionate is not delivering coz i am a frank zappa fan)

Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

I had great success recording from the iLive via MADI to a MacBook Pro (2008 vintage I think) running Reaper, straight to the internal 5400RPM HDD. Thinking about it, we were only actually sending it about 6-9Mb/s, which these days should really not that much of a struggle. If all you’re doing is capturing, then I think RAID etc is nice but not essential, nor is esoteric processing/memory/storage hardware.

3.5 hours recording everything straight out of the iLive ADC’s over MADI I think clocked in just under 100Gb – so a 500Gb SATA 2.5″ drive (even if it does run the host OS as well) ought to be plenty. Archiving those recordings and keeping them backed up however… now THAT’s where you need raw speed and massive capacities.

Work web: https://www.allsouls.org
    Home web: https://abstractnoise.co.uk

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by abstractnoise

Archiving those recordings and keeping them backed up however… now THAT’s where you need raw speed and massive capacities.

been using 7200rpm 500GB e-sata (external drives) for that very purpose myself as well as recording…and I second Reaper as it is extremely light on the system resources……

P.S. I am on a mac so your mileage may vary……….

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

my setup is 2 idr’s 32 with madi cards, PC win, 2x RME hdsp pci madi cards total gives 128 channel, regular WESTERN DIGITAL drives 500G system, 1000G storage, 7200rpm SATA, recording to NUENDO. NO problems with recording 4- 5 hours 96 -100 channels NEVER!!! setup working already one year. no extra equipment.
    possible connections 2 idr’s madi link to one madi RME card, recently i’hve recorded 2 DIGICO 48 RACKS total 96 channel.

agutin.com
    2x iDR32 +MADI OPTION
    MacBook,
    desktop+2x RME HDSP MADI

Profile photo of guyharris
    guyharris
    Participant

“what would be a perfect PC based recording system ?”

The PC bit is where you’d go wrong! :-)

http://www.pianojam.nl

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

The killer combination that we used was
    Ardour and Jackserver on OS X or Linux.

Why? Because in a Linux/Unix/OS X system you can setup a certain process as “realtime”. That way it cannot be interrupted by the UI processes for instance, which is crucial to build a system that’s really trustworthy.

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of MissingLink
    MissingLink
    Participant

Woutert: I would like to use Linux with Dante, but as I understand it, there are no drivers for Linux. Am I correct?

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

no virtual Dante soundcard for linux: so it seems.

Concerning the thread priority functionality: Mac OS’s are built on top of a unix kernel… so they can do this too.

Wouter
    My prayers have been heard, Dante is coming!

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by guyharris

“what would be a perfect PC based recording system ?”

The PC bit is where you’d go wrong! :-)

http://www.pianojam.nl

annyway it’s working, for me only the result that matters. so it can’t be wrong or wright :)

agutin.com
    2x iDR32 +MADI OPTION
    MacBook,
    desktop+2x RME HDSP MADI

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.