2010-2011 Macbook Pro good enough for 24 channel USB-B capture?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions 2010-2011 Macbook Pro good enough for 24 channel USB-B capture?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dags
    Dags
    Participant

Hi people

With the issues I had trying to integrate my ancient PowerPC Mac with the Qu24’s USB recording capability and the occasional dead track when recording using 18 channels direct-to-USB drive, I have begged/borrowed (but not stolen) enough to buy a second hand 2010 Core 2 Duo or 2011 i7 QC Macbook Pro laptop to enable me to record live gigs.
    (I need one with DVD reader so I can load up Snow Leopard and Logic 9 from installer DVDs – don’t want to buy into Apple’s WiFi only upgrades & licencing)
    Before I invest I’d like to know from anyone using one if you are able to reliably record all 24 channels via USB or if there are still issues with USB integration in these older models.

Thanks!
    Dags

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Dags, go for it!
    I used a laptop like that to record 32 channels many times via Dante and USB and it works great with Digital Performer.
    I know of no reason why it would not work just as well with Logic.

Profile photo of Dags
    Dags
    Participant

Excellent!
    Thanks for the confirmation, dpdan!

….starts counting his 20c pieces again…….. 🙂

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes Dags
    I have an old early 2011 MacBookPro i7 [intel] and multi tracked very successfully using both USB and or firewire running multiple screens.
    Never ever crashed!
    Now I have installed OS X El Capitan.
    Cheers
    NZdave

Profile photo of Dags
    Dags
    Participant

Thanks mate.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Always make sure you have enough “disc space” before recording your concert. 🙂 🙂

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

If the computer has a HDD, that needs to read: have enough unfragmented “disc space”
    Btw: Made several 24 track recordings using my 2007 MacMini, powered with a Core2@1.8GHz and a 5400rpm HDD. Not with the Qu, of course. Its not necessarily a question of CPU/Disk speed if we are talking about recording only.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.