2 SQ, 1 GX4816, s-Link question

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions 2 SQ, 1 GX4816, s-Link question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of FelixT FelixT 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of FelixT
    FelixT
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I know this has been slightly covered but I can’t see anyone asking this specific question.

What I want to achieve is the following:

GX4816 at Mons connected to 2*DX168 on stage
    SQ6 at Mons with Waves card (for Waves and record)
    SQ5 at FOH with Waves card (for Waves and record)

It’s my understanding that there is no way to do that, as Mons has to have an SLink card to connect two desks to the same GX. Is there a way to do this? Can you connect some kind of switch to the SLink line?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

You can pass audio between the two desks using the Waves cards (or via Dante cards installed in each console if you needed to use Dante instead of Waves).

So your monitor desk will have the GX4816 (with the DX168s connected) connected to the built in SLink port. You’ll likely have a local computer running Waves, but you will also need to connect to the FOH Waves card as well. You will need to use the routing tabs on each console to properly route the needed I/O between the consoles.

Profile photo of FelixT
    FelixT
    Participant

Ah yes, I hadn’t thought about linking the Waves cards. That would mean I could use those Waves tie lines from Mons to FOH as record inputs too, then the remaining channels of the 64×64 stream can be used for plugin send/returns. Can I use 64×64 at 96k?

Does this mean I will need Waves approved switches at Mons and FOH to be able to have computers at each end on the same network to pick up those tie lines?

Thanks

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

That would mean I could use those Waves tie lines from Mons to FOH as record inputs too, then the remaining channels of the 64×64 stream can be used for plugin send/returns.

That is exactly what I was thinking. So if you max out the console at 48 channels, you would still have 16 sends and returns for plugin use. If you need less channels, you’ll have more sends and returns available.

Can I use 64×64 at 96k?

Yes, the SQ Waves card runs 64×64 at either 96k or 48k. There is no difference in I/O capacity between the two choices.

Does this mean I will need Waves approved switches at Mons and FOH to be able to have computers at each end on the same network to pick up those tie lines?

I think given the number of Waves connections you are going to need to make and the limited number of Waves ports available, you are definitely going to need to use some sort of network switch that is known to work well with Waves.

Profile photo of FelixT
    FelixT
    Participant

Thanks Brian!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.