ZOOM H6 Audible Hiss from Aux

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting ZOOM H6 Audible Hiss from Aux

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of The DRis The DRis 2 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of The DRis
    The DRis
    Participant

Hello,

Working in a church setting, I have Aux 10 from the local socket with an XLR into a ZOOM H6. There is a constant hiss that is loud enough to interfere with the sermon recording. I’ve tried numerous different XLR’s (including high quality Mogami XLR’s) and the hiss doesn’t go away. It’s present as soon as the XLR plugs into the H6 regardless if the Aux out is muted or not. I’ve bypassed it now by using an extra Shure receiver and having the pastors audio go straight into the H6 from the receiver, bypassing the board all together. No hiss when I do that.

ZOOM gain is set to about 4 on the knob for channel 2.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I’m not familiar with the H6 model but check that the inputs are set for
    line level not mic level.

What levels are the meters showing on the recorder and how high are the level
    controls turned up.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

OK I just looked up the H6 model and it looks like there is just a pad switch
    and no menu option for mic or line input.

Turn on the pad switch, also make sure the phantom power is turned off.

The DRis
    Participant

Hi Mike, the meter on the H6 hits are -6db when recording. The gain knob is set to around 4. I tried using the -20db pad when the problem first surfaced, I don’t remember why but I don’t think that worked. I will have to check the phantom power. Thank you for the suggestions I’ll try the, this week.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi,
    Check to use the recorder without the AC-Adapter. As a test run the zoom only on battery!
    Sometimes you can get a loop via this power line supplys.

If this is the case, you have to isolate you line-signal connection.

greetings,
    dd

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

ioTon eludes to another point. When I hear the word “hiss” in relation to an audio problem I first think of gain staging issues.

Is the sound you hear like that of an air hose leak or more of a buzzing bee sound.
    Actually post a clip of the audio or a link to the audio.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi MikeC,

You’re right, the scenario I’ve written is called “buzz” or “hum” in english or?

audio clip will help 😉

greetings,
    dd

The DRis
    Participant

Ok, so I ran the unit on batteries and the hiss was still present. I also tried connecting the H6 to the aux out via XLR > 1/4″ TRS and that also did not work. I didn’t have time to record yesterday, I’ll get it tonight or next weekend.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.