ZEDi10 Noise Issue

Forums Forums Other A&H products ZEDi10 Noise Issue

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of The Nailer The Nailer 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of samg
    samg
    Participant

Hi there,

I purchased an Allen&Health ZEDi10 mixer last summer for use in starter home studio. The mixer worked perfectly for me up until last week, when it has started to give off a loud hissing sound. The noise is emitted even when all inputs/outputs are unplugged and when all dials are set to 0. I have played around with the dials and faders to try and make the sound go away, but to no avail. I have also tried zeroing the mixer, but the sound still persists. I tried it in different power sources around my house and the sound persists. When I connect the mixer to my laptop and record digitally, the digital input is clear and clean with no issues. The issue is that the hiss from the monitor is so loud that my mics will pick it up.

It almost sounds to me like a loud fan that you would hear on a laptop, but I had never had issues with fan noise from the device up until last week. I had been connecting my Akai MPC to the mixer recently (using unbalanced cables connecting the MPC’s outs to the mixer) and did get a loud pop noise at one point, so I wonder if I could have done something to affect the A&H mixer’s internal fan? I am tempted to open up the device and take a look inside, but my knowledge of electronics is quite basic.

Here is a video link to what I am describing.

Does anybody have any experience with similar issues? Or any advice for what I could do to fix this?
    Maybe there is a simple troubleshooting step that I am missing?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Sam

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Sam,

Please contact your local distributor to get this looked at and serviced/repaired immediately (you can see the full list of our distribution partners here – https://www.allen-heath.com/where-to-buy/ ).
    There is no fan in the unit, it cannot be a setup issue as you have nothing but power connected, there are no user serviceable parts and your unit is covered under warranty, so please don’t open it up yourself!

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of samg
    samg
    Participant

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your advice.

One question I have for you in relation to distribution partners/repairs: can the product be brought to a local distributor even if you did not purchase the device from them? I am based in the Republic of Ireland and purchased the product from a UK store and had it shipped here. It would be easier for me to go to the Ireland-based distributor, but I did not purchase the mixer from them so I am unsure if they would take it in for repairs.

Thank you for your help,
    Sam

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Ok now I understand the mixer it self is creating the noise!
    Sounds like the switching power supply is going bad, not something that can be repaired on the kitchen table.

Profile photo of Chartnz
    Chartnz
    Participant

Hey I have this same issue just started, unit is only a few months old. Did you get a solution in the end?

Profile photo of Guitt44
    Guitt44
    Participant

Hello I have the same issue. There is a hiss noise coming from the unit itself, in place of the power supply.
    What could I do ?
    Thanks

Profile photo of The Nailer
    The Nailer
    Participant

I have the same issue, mixer is not long out of warranty :-/ has anyone had a repair done? wondering if its a single component in the PSU that can be repaired or… ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.