ZED10FX High Pitched Noise or Hiss with USB connection

Forums Forums Other A&H products ZED10FX High Pitched Noise or Hiss with USB connection

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 63 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike Mike 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@KeithJ A&H

Well he has to look somewhere. Clearly we prioritize where the problem is likely at.
    I have been burned more by windoze and its software than anything else.

I presume the plan you reference is for mike to open a trouble ticket.

@mike

I used a similar device (actually 3) in my home studio. Now in storage after a move.
    Use any outputs from the Z10 you want by moving the cable to the right output on the Zed.

We use that presonus at church to go to the pc with OBS for livestreaming.
    Zoom should work the same way for getting audio. Unless win10 has issues.
    I do not use or know zoom.

You go into the presonus with XLR or TRS connectors.
    NOTE presonus has many models check that the one you pick has the inputs/outputs you need and also the features.
    The one noted comes out with TRS so you buy a cable with the other end that matches your PC for input.
    I do not know what inputs your PC has.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

The internal sound card on my motherboard has always been messed up so I’m just using this: https://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blaster-play-3

Question – If you’re suggesting bypassing the mixer’s USB, and just sending the audio to the computer, couldn’t I just use an XLR to mini stereo plug cable (like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1237752-REG/hosa_technology_hmx_006y_1_8_stereo_mini_to.html ) into the mic input of the sound card I mentioned above? what is the purpose of the interface?

volounteer
    Participant

@mike

It allows you to adjust levels with handy knobs so the internal PC stuff works better.
    It might also fix any impedance mismatch issues if you tried to use it with the mike input.

An interface also lets you bring multiple things into one PC connector.
    Some have lots more than this one has.

There should be a line input on most pcs.
    Going into the mike input would be a huge mismatch without the interface and might still be a problem

If you need an education on audio and various devices used try google and amazon for a book on it.
    I am telling you what our church did that works well for us. And what I did in my home studio when it was running.

volounteer
    Participant

@mike

are you coming out the green connection on the front for audio then try the green or black one in the back
    and see if your noise changes.

if you do use the interface you would normally go into the blue on the pc from the presonus.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

adjusting levels and bringing multiple things into one place is the purpose of a mixer, no?
    The PC does have a built in sound card, maybe the line in works on it, I’ll have to check. If the line in works, then could I do what I said with an XLR to mini stereo cable?

are you coming out the green connection on the front for audio then try the green or black one in the back and see if your noise changes.
    What green connection? front of what? I have no idea what you’re referring to; My ZED10FX doesn’t have colored connections? You lost me here lol….

volounteer
    Participant

@mike

yes and no

you could try a y cable from the Z10 to the LINE in but not microphone in
    although you might get that to work it is risky and may be hard to adjust correctly from the mixer

xlr to ministereo 3.5mm should be right
    two out to one smaller stereo in Y type cable

The green connection is audio out on a pc
    you said you were sending headphones to the mixer to come back around somehow to zoom
    I noted that on our pc at church there is front and back outputs and on my home pc too
    at home for sure the back outs are different from the front ones although they are supposed to be the same sound
    I believe that in many cases the back ones are somehow different and provide better quality for sound with less noise

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Ohhh you’re talking about the colored audio inputs/outputs on the PC, I got ya now.
    Well, I suppose it’s worth buying yet another cable to see if it fixes the problem; I just need to test the line input on the sound card first to be sure it’s working because I always had problems with the audio out. I’ll report back on this after I get a chance to try..

volounteer
    Participant

If you always had trouble with the audio out then why do you think using it now is not causing the problem we have discussed.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

OK this is the worlds longest thread for such a small mixer.

To take care grounding noise issues when connecting to the ANALOG outputs
    AKA headphone jack on a computer you need to use something like this to give you
    the needed transformer isolation….

Computer DI box

You could use two standard DI boxes and an adapter cable but this DI makes it easy.

You can take it one step further and use and external USB audio output interface, this one has transformer isolation on the outputs.
    Isolation and a cleaner audio signal.

Peavey USB interface

Now for connecting to the ANALOG inputs on a computer that offer either a dedicated
    mic or line input.
    You can not really use a straight through balanced line adapter cable. The analog inputs on the computer are an 1/8 TRS connector wired for a stereo input with left on the tio and right on the ring. A balanced straight through cable would not work well
    due to the phase cancellation of the balanced line signal going into a connection looking for a stereo signal.

If you want to use the ANALOG input on a computer chances are you’ll the isolation, here’s a piece that will work and it also has a level trim control.

Radial input isolation interface

Of course there are many USB input interfaces, a lot of them are a mic preamp
    so you may need to PAD the input signal hitting the input.

Something to consider on computer ANALOG inputs and outputs many, more so on laptops
    have gone to a single multi function 1/8 TRRS jack just like many cell phone used before they took the jacks off of phones!!

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

@mikec, I don’t understand a lot of what you said, e.g. analog, phase, etc.
    In looking through the stash, I have a Samson MDA1 Mono Active Direct Box. Will that help? If so, where should I connect it?

volounteer
    Participant

@mike

worth trying if you already have it
    there are several types/variations of DI boxes plus other features they offer

but you still need to explain your contradiction
    you said you always had trouble with the audio
    so why do you now blame the Z10

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

trouble with the built in sound card on the motherboard, but it was audio output that was the trouble, I never tried the input.
    It’s the reason why I’m using the sound blaster usb dongle for a sound card on the computer. I had long since disabled the onboard sound and just never used it so it is not relevant in the noise issue at hand.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

I was just thinking about the direct box suggestion.
    As I understand, the direct box is meant to go between an instrument and the mixer. How can this actually help if the noise is happening when no inputs are connected except for the USB? The box won’t correct anything since none of the inputs are causing the noise.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The DI provides isolation and converts an unbalanced line into a balanced line signal.
    It would be for the headphone out to mixer connection on the lap top that is used for
    playback.

From your post I have gathered that you have noise with that connection as well as in when you turned up the ST2 level the noise level increased that tells me there is incoming noise on that line as well.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Yes, but, the laptop and USB was only for troubleshooting purposes. I don’t use the laptop with the USB, just the desktop.

If I put a DI box between the laptop and the mixer, will that work? Because the mixer is taking 1/4″ plugs which are unbalanced, right?

The laptop headphone output is a single mini stereo plug. So right now, I’m just using a Y cable that is mini stereo on one end, and L/R 1/4″ on the other end into the mixer.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.