ZED 18 stereo FX question

Forums Forums Other A&H products ZED 18 stereo FX question

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kdownes kdownes 1 year ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kdownes
    kdownes
    Participant

Hi all — I have a ZED 18 I use with a variety of Elektron synthesizers, and I have a question about using a stereo effects unit, specifically an Elektron Analog Heat, on the master output. My usage and understanding of mixers is pretty basic, for please forgive me if this is a dumb question!

At the moment I have the Heat’s inputs hooked up to AUX 1 & 2, and the output going to the 17/18 stereo input channel. That way I can have the signal from the Heat in parallel with the outputs of the other devices, all sent to the main outs. While this works, it creates a problem when I want to lower the volume of a synth — since AUX 1 & 2 are pre fader, lowering the faders doesn’t change the volume of the signal going to the Heat. I could lower the AUX 1 & 2 sends, but that’s much more awkward than using the faders. AUX 3 & 4 are post fader, which would be better/simpler, but since they are summed to mono the output of the Heat is mono and I lose the stereo field of the mix. Is there a way to have stereo in and out to a device like the Heat while still being able to have level control? Someone suggested using the Master Inserts, but it’s not clear how I’d get a stereo signal out to the Heat, and also how I’d be able to maintain level control over everything.

Any suggestions are welcome — thanks in advance!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You could use an insert cable to patch the FX unit directly on the main outputs and use the wet dry mix control on the FX to get the FX balance you want.
    The back of the ZED manuals show the wiring for insert cables.

Here’s one.
    HOSA insert cable

Profile photo of kdownes
    kdownes
    Participant

Thanks for this – using the wet/dry mix on the Heat would be OK, and I actually have a few of those Hosa cables. I think it finally dawned on me how the inserts work! In my particular set up, though, this will mean taking the Heat out of my patchbay — that’s fine and it’s not that big of a deal to just re arrange the cables if I ever want to use the Heat for processing things separately. It would be great if the AUX 3 & 4 on the ZED weren’t hard wired to be summed to mono — I’m sure there are technical reasons for that, but as a feature request having the option of using them for a stereo post-fader AUX to external effects would be great.

I’ll give the inserts a try, and thanks again!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.