ZED 14 and FX SND/RTN

Forums Forums Other A&H products ZED 14 and FX SND/RTN

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lengai Lengai 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lengai
    Lengai
    Participant

My last mixer had a stereo out FX send and a separate stereo return that was global and could be dialed in on any channel(s) desired. I have read the manual and watched videos as well as reading forums. It appears the ZED 14 cannot be so easily configured.

It looks like I can either:

A) Run XLR dry from ZED to audio interface AND run AUX 3 and 4 to stereo FX unit and out of FX unit to separate inputs on audio interface (wet)

B) Run AUX 3 and 4 to stereo FX unit and then back into a stereo channel on the ZED.

C) Run AUX 3 and 4 to stereo FX unit and then from FX unit to two MULTS and back into each channel on the ZED

I tried AUX 3 and 4 our of the ZED to the FX unit and then from FX back into the stereo inserts and it sounds terrible so I know that was wrong. Any input on A, B, and C above or “how to set up a global FX SND/RTN” would be much appreciated. It seems this jams up many folks.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What are you using the mixer for, live sound or recording.
    Do you need a stereo input to the FX unit?
    With my analog mixers and processing racks of equipment
    I always took a mono single aux output to an FX unit and then
    took the stereo FX out back into the mixers stereo input/return
    channels.

I’m going to say your option B is the best way to go.

The FX insert connection your tried created a feedback loop.
    The stereo output insert jacks are more for inserting an EQ and or
    a compressor limiter on the overall mix output.

Profile photo of Lengai
    Lengai
    Participant

What are you using the mixer for – recording.
    Do you need a stereo input to the FX unit? Yes
    With my analog mixers and processing racks of equipment
    I always took a mono single aux output to an FX unit and then
    took the stereo FX out back into the mixers stereo input/return
    channels. Wouldn’t this be a mono copy and not true stereo?

I’m going to say your option B is the best way to go. Thank you.

The FX insert connection your tried created a feedback loop.
    The stereo output insert jacks are more for inserting an EQ and or
    a compressor limiter on the overall mix output. Rats! I’m definitely not selling off the little mixer I was using because it was so easy yo have a global FX SND/RTN. Maybe I can still use it’s master outs to the ZED…just “thinking out loud” on that idea.

Profile photo of Lengai
    Lengai
    Participant

Would you recommend pre fader or post fader AUXs for Option B?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The FX unit / processor will create a stereo effect image of a mono input be it reverb, chorus, flange, delay ping pong effect.
    On my QU mixers the FX send is mono and the returns are all stereo.
    You could send a stereo input to most effect processors but you would need to already have a stereo image built up to send into it.

The older Lexicon FX I used were mono in and stereo out, the new TC Electronic FX units
    that I used could be set for stereo in stereo out, mono in stereo out or dual mono operation along with various other internal routing options. I used them normally as
    mono in stereo out processors.

FX sends are normally post fade so they track level changes made to the main mix.

I just had my ZED 10 out today using it as a USB IO interface!

Profile photo of Lengai
    Lengai
    Participant

Thank you Mike. Since I do recording it took time for my brain to think of the ZED with guitarists and vocals on their own FX boards coming into the mixer.

After reading your methods I tried Aux 1 out to the effect unit and back to mono channels 1 and 2 on the inputs. I need all 4 stereo channels for sub mixers into the ZED. It’s working now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.