ZED-10 USB interface mono

Forums Forums Other A&H products ZED-10 USB interface mono

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DrTomoculus
    DrTomoculus
    Participant

Hi, I recently purchased an Allen & Heath ZED 10 device, which is a great unit. The real difficulty I’m having is why everything OUT and IN is in MONO. I USB connect to my laptop (WINDOWS 8.1 PLATFORM) and no matter what audio is coming in (ie playing along to something on YouTube or media on my laptop, OR recording my own tracks) or what instruments I plug in, everything is MONO. I have drum machines, guitar effects, synthesisers all with stereo left right outputs, but I get nothing but MONO.

What am I doing incorrectly? It’s the first time I’ve ever had a mixing board that doesn’t know what stereo is upon powering on.

Thank you for any help & support.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@drtomoculus

There are two things that spring to mind here –
    1) The PFL (headphone bus) is mono and designed for checking channels rather than for monitoring. So if you’re using headphones and want to monitor a stereo feed from the computer, use the PHONES SELECT ‘Playback’ switch rather than the per-channel ‘Listen’ switches.
    2) The ZED-10 USB interface is class compliant and has no drivers. You can change it’s settings through the OS though and I have seen it happen that the ZED is seen as a mono device by Windows before. To change this, you need to go to the Windows sound control panel, where you’ll find options for the recording and playback devices. Click on the ZED device in the playback tab (USB Audio Codec) and then click ‘Properties’. In here you will find the settings for channels and sample rate/bit depth. Ensure that you have a stereo option selected, then go back to the playback tab and click on ‘Configure’ to configure the ‘speaker setup’ in stereo.

If it’s neither of these, you can contact us directly using https://support.allen-heath.com

Cheers!
    Keith.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.