Xone 96 Record Out too loud for iPhone

Forums Forums Other A&H products Xone 96 Record Out too loud for iPhone

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of florianb
    florianb
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to record a set with the simplest setup from a Xone 96, and it came down to Record Out -> ⅛ jack -> Rode SC4 TRS to TRRS -> ⅛ jack to Lighting -> iPhone. I have as inputs 2 CDJ 3000s.

The issue is the signal is way too loud for the iPhone when the trim of those 2 line inputs is set to unity, meaning the recording is completely saturated and distorted when playing it back, basically useless.

I found out that when the trim is set to roughly 9 o’clock, the recording is OK, though probably not great, and I’ll have to readjust the level after recording. Is there something wrong with my mixer or is this normal? Ideally I was hoping that the mixer would send out a clean signal that can be used immediately without adjusting the gain.

Would this also be an issue with a better recorder, like a Tascam DR-05, or can that device handle the high output?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You need to get an inline line level to mic level pad or a lighting
    audio interface that has line level inputs.
    Look up TRS or TRRS in line pad.

I have a Tascam DR-05 and the external input will take a higher
    signal to maybe about 0db.
    The input on those is 1/8 inch TRS

Profile photo of florianb
    florianb
    Participant

Hi Mike, so I got a Tascam DR-05 to record from my Xone 96 “Rec Out”. Even with all the level/gain set to 0 on the Tascam, the signal is peaking frequently, averaging around -2dB, Tascam says my input should hover around -12dB.

How do you attenuate your record signal more to prevent the Tascam from reaching its limit?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You can turn the level lower on the DR-05.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.