XLR static hiss

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting XLR static hiss

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Async- Async- 4 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Async-
    Async-
    Participant

Hi, I was using the TS jack all out to XLR Yamaha MS80, and noise level was unnoticeable.
    Now I try XLR to XLR cable with same monitors, the noise level is considerably louder even when ALL OUT is down to level 0.
    I use Allen & Heath QU16.
    On inputs there are only Elektron boxes and synths, all coming in with TS stereo cables.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

what is all out?

you mean alt; that stands for alternate, it’s a configurable additional output socket
    so this has nothing to do with XLR outs

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If the noise you hear is hum/buzz when connection the monitors to the mixer using XLR connections fist of all check that the outer shell of the XLR connectors is NOT connected to pin 1 (ground) of the XLR connector.

You may also need to try disconnecting the XLR male pin 1 ground connection at the connector.

If what your hearing is just “hiss” that could be just your gain structure.

If you want to use the ALT OUT outputs to feed the monitors you will need to make a TRS to XLR male adapter cable. That would be handy as you get an easy way to control the monitor levels.

As Steffen said the ALT OUT does not control any XLR outputs.

Profile photo of Async-
    Async-
    Participant

Thank you all for your quick response people.
    It turns out the gain on this output was set to VERY high value hence the tweeter hum. I almost blew my speakers today trying to listen through it. But the good news is there’s nothing wrong with the board. I’m the issue šŸ™‚ I need to figure out where to adjust the main output gain.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Iā€™m the issue šŸ™‚ I need to figure out where to adjust the main output gain.

What mix output are you using to feed your monitors?
    If your using direct mix XLR outputs on the mixer that overall level is controlled with that mixes master level fader.

If your using the ALT OUT 1/4 TRS jacks first you need to select what mix output you want to send to the ALT OUT in the IO routing menu, then on your selected mix turn the master fader up to unity, you can now use the ALT OUT level knob on the mixer to easily control the overall level to you monitors.

Profile photo of Async-
    Async-
    Participant

yes, master fader in this case, thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.