writing of harddisk generates a "writing sound" on LR

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting writing of harddisk generates a "writing sound" on LR

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mamerica mamerica 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lesouvage
    lesouvage
    Participant

I tried out the recording feature of the QU-16. I have bought a 1 terabyte HD, let the QU-16 formatted the disk and tested it out. I have done my first testing before I updated to firmware 1.2 and that worked OK. Now that I have updated to 1.2 there seem to be a problem. When recording there is, in the rhythm of the led on the harddisk, a hearable sound on the speakers that are connected to LR. This makes this feature practically useless. Have others run into this problem and is there a workaround or solution?

lesouvage
    Participant

The HD is a Western Digital Element 1Tb 3430 extern 2.5.

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

i had only once problem with “dropouts” with my WD 500GB Harddisk! I see here 2 solutions:
    1. re update your firmware on the console
    2. re update your firmware of the Harddisk!

If you still have problems: contact the A&H Helpdesk! (This here is only a user-forum!)

Profile photo of Jimmydrummer
    Jimmydrummer
    Participant

Yep I’ve had the same problem. On mine the noise is coming from stereo input 3 only – the hard drive noise really comes through loud on that channel, the rest are fine. I’m using a Samsung M3 1TB.

lesouvage
    Participant

I have recorded L/R during an Acoustic Open Mic event and the sound that was the reason to start this post was gone. I still have no idea what causes the problem. The sound quality of the recordings was perfect.(see and listen on https://soundcloud.com/acoustic-open-mic )

Profile photo of Geddy
    Geddy
    Participant

I can confirm the noise effects james-rawson wrote about. I think it’s due to unbalanced/ unshielded mini-jack input ST3 to close to USB-connector! Looks like a bit cheap in hardware design. But at the end of the day I only use ST3 for playback music or keep it closed/muted.

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

Isn’t this part of the Known Issues section of the release notes?

“Some USB noise can be heard on the ST3 input channel when the top panel ST3 mini-jack input is selected as its source and nothing is plugged in. Mute this channel or turn its fader off when it is not being used. The noise is not present when an audio source is plugged in.”

If you mute ST3 while recording, is the noise eliminated?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.