Would you PAY for a GLD upgrade?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Would you PAY for a GLD upgrade?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nasi nasi 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

Purely hypothetical on my part and I hope people in the Mothership are eavesdropping here.

If you could have your GLD brought up to date, would you pay for that privilege? Updating consoles has breathed new life into nice mixing desks since the analog days. Recently other digital boards have been upgraded. Soundcraft has a Vi upgrade. A&H’s stablemate Digico has offered a Stealth Core 2 upgrade. The rest of the GLD system is great but the innards are showing their age. Our GLDs are laid out quite nicely. The surface can serve my purpose for quite a while to come. This kind of upgrade shows you are making an investment not just a purchase.

What three features would you want and would you be willing to pay for it? If there is a revenue stream maybe A&H can justify the resources.

As for me I would be willing to pay for:
    1- Side-Chain compression
    2- Fix that illogical scene recall system and a few other scene related issues.
    3-I don’t need anything more. You pick.

Dreaming is free. John

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Yes I would if it contained useful features not fluff.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Fluff? 🙂
    That’s the stuff that still grows on top of my head.

If I had a GLD [and its on the cards I might get 1] I would pay for some upgrades!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

You know what I mean by fluff. Those things that I guess somebody might want.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes some fluff. Humor whilst studying net working.

So was the

Recently other digital boards have been upgraded. Soundcraft has a Vi upgrade. A&H’s stablemate Digico has offered a Stealth Core 2 upgrade.

was that a hardware upgrade?

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

It was the main CPU board. Analogous to a desktop computer motherboard replacement. “The guts” as it were.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

I did pay for an upgrade. It’s called an M-Waves card and it gives me access to the entire Waves catalog, giving me absolutely everything that I need a much more.

Sidechain? Had it for years.

Compressors, EQ’s, Gates, noise reduction, AMM. All there.

So I have a world class desk that can talk to any other Waves compatible desk.

What more do I need?

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

So I’m figuring all totaled you paid around $4k for side chain plus made your setup longer and more prone to failure.

I’m glad that works for you.

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

Well side chain would be nice to have, but I’m not sure I would be prepared to pay much for it. Say £100 max.

What I WOULD like is multitrack recording as on the QU, but I can already get that by paying £900 or so, and for that I get ALL the channels, so again it would need to be significantly cheaper than that.

More mix busses would be wonderful. I’d pay a fair bit for that, but I won’t hold my breath.

Mike

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Actually, it was the price of the card since I already had Waves Mercury and 2 Extreme Servers in my studio.

But for less than $2k you could implement Waves with a nice package on your GLD. How much did you want to spend on an upgrade vs purchase a new board?

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Would be interested in everything listed above, plus

1. Expander
    2. RTA over PEQ
    3. Secondary solo config
    4. Preamp modeling
    5. Soft keys perform multiple functions

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

assuming I only own a gld, nothing else. I would need to purchase a dedicated computer and road case. How much is a setup like yours?

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

You need an M-Waves card ($500 – $1000 on e-bay [$1599 new]). You need a Waves Impact Server ($400 – $500 on e-bay [$700 new]). A Waves Bundle starting at $99 for Musician-2 or separate plugins starting at $39. A laptop. A gigabit switch (< $50). A few Cat5e cables to connect everything (<$10).

And you’re ready to go.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

Add $1500 for a laptop. They are not free just yet.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

It doesn’t need to be a high end laptop since all of the processing is down at the server level. I have a 15.9″ Toshiba convertible laptop, Quad Core I7 with 8 GB Ram and 1TB drive that I picked last year for $550. I know you can find really good laptops starting around $450.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.