Wireless iPad music thru FOH

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Wireless iPad music thru FOH

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robbocurry robbocurry 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bocce
    Bocce
    Participant

Is it possible to wirelessly route/play music from the iPad controlling FOH to the QU? I want to have the engineer bring up music between sets without having to be at the desk. Currently he has to start music from an iPod plugged into the ST3 jack. Suggestions? Thanks.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Can he not just leave the iPod running, and just bring up ST3 where appropriate?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Airport express will let him AirPlay to the QU16, as would any AirPlay capable network device.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I use an Apple Airport Express router with “Airplay” and it works beautifully.
    I used to do what mervaka recommended, turn on repeat and just let the break music play all the time,
    then fade it up whenever you need it.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Hey Dan,
    Again what Mervaka said seems the easiest route.
    I use Tango remote to control a connected to the desk idevice.
    Works better than Airplay as the music keeps going if you lose wifi connection.

BTW. What do you think of the QuPac Dan, has it shuffled your DL32R a little closer to the door?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Hmm, how many iDevices can we have plugged in…
    PodLink looks like a similar option

QuPad on mine,
    QuYou on three iPhones and one iPad

Now a PodLink/Tango controlled iPad as well…

A veritable iFest πŸ˜‰

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Robbo,
    I love the Qu24 but the Mackie DL32R has the QuPac blown away for at leat one reason…
    the Master Fader app.

The QuPad app is horrible. It does work though, but until it gets a way to color the tracks for quick navigation and MANY other improvements, I feel sorry for QuPac owners. And you can still only use one iPad with the QuPad app. The Mackie Master Fader app leaves EVERYTHING in the dust as far as I am concerned.

I love Allen & Heath but the truth is the truth about the app.

I bought the Qu24 for the console with real knobs and faders for concerts. While the iPad does the job perfectly well,…
    for a concert it is nice to have a real “FOH”, on the other hand, nothing beats an iPad controlled system for wedding receptions and many other jobs. NO MORE SNAKE AND RACKS OF GEAR,,,
    I LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am blessed to have the best of both worlds!
    Dan

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’m not sure I’d run with horrible…

There are plenty of things I’d change…

I’d expect the DSL series to have better iPad controls, they have nothing else. Although really looking to them for inspiration would have been good πŸ˜‰

robbocurry
    Participant

Good point Dan,
    I don’t honestly feel at home on the qu-pad app at all, I’m always glad to get back to the actual desk.
    I wouldn’t want to run 32/38 channels off anything other than faders at the moment. Unless there is a quantum leap in (all) mixer app layouts, I’d be sticking to real faders.
    I was browsing the qu-pac site/.pdf and it said something to the effect of “currently only supports one iPad”, “currently” being the word of note. Multiple iPads may make it less of a struggle.
    Thanks for the reply btw:)

robbocurry
    Participant

Apologies for going off topic guys;)

Profile photo of Bocce
    Bocce
    Participant

Thank you for the responses. I have an old airport express, I’ll try that.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I think “horrible” describes it honestly from my opinion, but everythiong is relative. I am comparing it to the Mackie Master Fader App. I just think that the QuPad app for running the Qu mixers was designed quickly and had to be released before it was finished. I can not imagine all the time that goes into making and testing these apps, but the app is about the only thing bad I can say about my Qu24 and AR2412.

I love that system.

I was just going to mention a bunch of things that need to be changed, but decided not to since this is the Allen & Heath forum πŸ™‚

For those of you who think I am being harsh, download the Master Fader app and see for yourself.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Maybe it’s because I run a QU16, so I don’t have too much jumping around to do…

I am normally on a custom layer with 10 controls, and the mute groups being off to one side isn’t a hardship

Playing (again) with MMF I can’t see custom layers at all… Nor do you get increased sensitivity of controls by pulling away from them. Not that that’s a big one…

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

I find the Qu-Pad app runs a lot faster on my iPad 3

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Bob,
    the Master Fader app does not have a custom layer like the Qu does, but it does have “view groups” which allow you to see only the channels you want… it’s not exactly the same because you can not change the order,… but similar.

back on topic, sorry guys πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.