Wireless IEM Setup

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Wireless IEM Setup

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alrod Alrod 8 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

This is actually a two part question…

1. For a solo artist who will be gigging in the United States only, what would you recommend for a Wireless IEM system? My budget is pretty open, but I am most concerned with build quality and reliability. I don’t think I need all the bells and whistles of a system that is designed for multiple inputs and multiple bands. I should also add that I already own UE Reference Monitor IEM’s. What are your suggestions

2. What is the best or preferred way to connect these systems up to the QU-16?

Thanks.

Profile photo of Greg
    Greg
    Participant

I’m making similar considerations myself at this point… the two options I see are either running your IEM’s off of one of the Qu16’s monitor mix outputs, or you can get an ME-1. Either way, you’ll need some sort of wireless tx/rx system if you don’t want to be wired to the board or the ME-1. I have an existing Shure PSM200 system, so I’ll start with that. That’s not a recommendation, by the way. I don’t have much experience with it yet.

Personally, I’m leaning towards getting an ME-1 primarily because it has an ambient mic on it that lets you mix in some of the room noise. I’m guessing that will help keep you from feeling isolated, you can hear if people ask you something, etc.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

Thanks Greg. I actually own a ME-1 but feel tied down to it and for performance reasons need to move away from it from time to time. Having both would seem like overkill (to me anyway). Can you describe in more detail how you go about connecting the wireless unit to the board via the monitor mix outputs? Thanks.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Just simple direct cables – if the wireless unit only has jacks then use the alt-out for convenience…

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

You could use the ME-1 output (either Mono or Headphone output) to feed the inputs to whatever wireless IEM transmitter system you choose. Then you could use the ME-1 to adjust your mix on stage yet be able to move away from it when needed.
    I’ve had good luck with the Shure PSM 200 while touring in various parts of the country (small tours). It’s been reliable and the talent has never had a complaint. Your UE IEMs should work just fine with the Shure.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

Thanks for all the responses so far. Doing some research it seems that the Sennheiser G3 and the Shure PSM 200 are quite popular with good reviews. I came across another brand, Mipro 808T/R. Although there are not many reviews on it, I haven’t seen anything negative about them. The price point is a few hundred dollars less than the other two mentioned brands. Pretty decent features/specs too. Does anyone have any opinions on the Mipro?

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

According to the Mipro website this unit transmits in the 620-874MHz range. That includes the 700MHz range, which is now off limits to consumer and professional use in the U.S.A. (not sure about other countries). It’s illegal to use that band. The 700MHz bandwidth in the U.S. is used for emergency services and also commercial providers of wireless services (such as wireless broadband services).

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

Hmm, that’s interesting. Do you know how many channels that would leave me to work with? I am not up to speed on the whole MHz range thing.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas
    Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

Thanks! So here is my question now. The Mipro operates in the 620-874MHz range. The FCC ruling effects the 698–806 MHz which to me there appears to be a little wiggle room (620 – 697 MHz and 807 – 874 MHz), so how many channels would that leave me with? It is still worth the $300 savings over the Shure and Sennhieser products. Again this would only be for a single performer so I would need to worry about needing frequencies for other performers.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Not sure if I’d go analog for a new buy and I personally would prefer bigger brands. Did you check out the mipro manual? It does not have any statement regarding conformity or national regulations, just to mention it.
    Even if you may be able to pick channels within an allowed range (the manual states some 24MHz bandwidth), it may already violate laws to switch on such a unit which potentially could emit signals within a restricted range.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

According to literature I was sent from an authorized dealer, the bandwidth is from 621.275 – 642.375 (6A code), which gives me 8 legal channels. At least until the FCC decides to move the bar again. The FCC may actually do that, but from what I read that would be another several years out before it would become enacted. Several dealers who also carry Shure and Sennheiser said that Mipro is just as good if not better depending on what features you are looking for. I think I am going to save the $300 – $500 and go with the Mipro. I have the option of returning it if I don’t like the the sound quality or features. It seems like a no brainer. I will let you guys know what my thoughts on it are.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.