Wired Or Wireless?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Wired Or Wireless?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

Hey all. Being a user of the QU 32 and Qpac, I much prefer the Faders being something I can Move and touch. In some instances the wireless control and the compact size of the QU-Pac cant be beat. I am also not a huge fan of WI-FI only because of potential problems of interruption of the signal. So the suggestion If possible:
    A direct connection from my I-Pad to the QU-Series via the USb or network port. I also saw some potential new product at a recent D-Live event. one of those little fader banks that could connect via the network jack. Something to have in those time when WiFi just don’t work.

Thanks for listening.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Hmm, tried this:
    Apple Lightning to USB Adapter -> Powered USB Hub -> Apple USB to Ethernet Adapter
    Then from ethernet adapter either into router which also distributes IP addresses via DHCP
    Or using fixed IP addresses on both iPad and Qu and connect via Xover cable.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Well… the android app supports external fader banks via USB OTG.
    And some tablets have ethernet ports as well…

So you could combine those two.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

So my question on reading the link Andreas posted… https://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/08/28/how-to-connect-an-ipad-to-ethernet/
    Can I run 2 ipads into the hub wired to QU?
    A FOH virtual mixer hard wired via ethernet.
    I do like the wireless however have found it slow (to catch up with data) scrolling through channels.
    Waiting for the ipad to load the names of channels etc.
    If I was positioned at FOH with 2x iPad pros hard wired as a FOH mixer, this could be really great!?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

For the ethernet communication its the same whether you’re running through WiFi or cable.
    If you’re using a hub/switch you’ll need to assign unique IP addresses manually (i.e. Subnet 255.255.255.0, Qu: 192.168.1.100, iPad1: 192.168.1.101, iPad2: 192.168.1.102 etc.).

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

hmm ok Thanks
    So why a crossover cable?
    Is that because of computer to computer? like the internet sharing days of win98?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Not sure if Apple’s Ethernet Adapter is able to auto-sense (doubt the Qu’s LAN port does it), so you’ll need a crossover cable to connect both directly to eliminate the hub/switch (indeed, as we did in old Win9x days). If you plan to run multiple cabled iPads you do need a switch and regular cables.

Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

Andreas, very interesting idea. Thanks much for sharing. I will be giving this a try…..

Jeff

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Most things autosense nowadays – it’s my expectation (particularly since it’s required on GigE)

Profile photo of slb
    slb
    Participant

Hello AndrĂ©a i just bought a qu sb for my home studio and i think i misunderstood your post because i thought that i didn’t need internet to conect an ipad to the qu sb…
    What i tried is
    ipad > usb adaptator > usb ethernet hub > xover cable > qu sb
    qu pad asked for an ip adress it was 192.168.1.100 i clicked yes and it told me connection failed…
    I am really a jerk in computer please show me the way cheers !!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

wich device is doing dhcp?
    if non, you need to add a router or access point to provide dhcp adresses

see the quick start guide chapter 6
    https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-SB-Getting-Started-Guide-AP10287_2.pdf

Profile photo of slb
    slb
    Participant

Thanks Steffen i’ll have a look on tuesday at home and i haven’t a router in the chain that’s why, but i thought i can use it without an internet access….
    Cheers.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the router is not there because of the internet access…

since the QU-SB has no display it is hard to set a fixed IP adress
    so you should start with a dhcp server…
    the easiest way is to add a WiFi router to the setup

Profile photo of slb
    slb
    Participant

Ok thanks i am a bit lost with this kind of gear ,)

Profile photo of slb
    slb
    Participant

Everything is ok now..(THANKS STEFFEN)
    One little thing that maked me crazy the qu sb ethernet cable as to be plugged inside a regular ethernet plug inside the router and not the internet one. (THANKS KEITH)
    As for the harwired ipad :
    Configure the router as describe in his manual
    Connect the qusb with rj45 cable to a regular ethernet plug of the router (not the internet one)
    Connect your ipad to an usb adaptator (that has a plug for power supply)
    Usb adaptator to ethernet adaptator
    Ethernet adaptator to a regular ethernet plug of the router with an xover cable
    Done… easy but sometimes silly things goes in the path…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.